Cat Forum banner

Spay Incision Healing Normally?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  catloverami 
#1 ·
Hello,

My ~4 month old kitten, Enid, was spayed on Thursday afternoon (so with today being Sunday she’s at 3 full days post op) and has been eating normally, sleeping lots (thank goodness), and is very active when she’s awake. I did notice today when checking her incision in the morning and again in the afternoon that she’s got a bit of some white crusty substance adhered to the regrowing hairs around her incision. Is this normal, or a sign of infection? I’ll try to post a photo with this thread.

I also have a male ~4 month old, Dexter, who was neutered at the same time and I think his little incision is healing nicely, though he did skip his wet food dinner this evening which is highly unusual for the guy, who normally polishes off his sister’s leftovers after licking his bowl clean. He ate his wet food this morning and he always has kibble available, and I know that he’s pooped at least twice since his surgery so I don’t think he’d be constipated. All this to say, I know that the pain medicine administered post-op is supposed to last only 48 hours or so, so is he not eating because he’s in some pain?

Thanks for your time—I’ve only ever adopted kitties from shelters and they’ve already been altered so this is my first time with post-op care.

Best,
Grace

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like she's made a good recovery. If the incision is oozing white or yellowish discharge, I would suspect an infection, and she should go to a vet right away. If you're in doubt, and Enid's appetite/activity changes take her to the vet to examine the incision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.