Repeated giardia infections (I think) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Repeated giardia infections (I think)

Hello all,

Before getting into the issue, I want to make sure to point out that I've been in constant contact with my vet regarding this, but I'm hoping to crowdsource some additional ideas.

Back in May, I adopted two barn cats (I posted about them previously). Due to one cat being extremely aggressive, I've had them separated for a few months now. And they are "barn cats" in that they live in my covered, heated, sealed garage (3,600 sq. ft.) - they do not go outside AT ALL. I feed them wet food three times a day, plus leave dry food and water (which I change out every 3rd day) for them.

I've watched both cats play with mice that make it into the barn, to the point that they'll kill the mouse and leave the body - I haven't seen either eat a mouse, I've found no carcasses that have been chewed or pieces of mice. I understand that doesn't mean they don't eat them, but I've cleaned up probably 10 dead mice and none have shown any signs of being eaten, just killed.

Anyway, shortly after getting the two cats one of them - Theory - had bloody diarrhea. I took her to the vet and they found three infections, including giardia. We gave her Panacur granules, plus had to dose her twice a day for two weeks with methimazole liquid. Being a skittish barn cat, it was incredibly stressful - hard to catch, hard to get her to settle down, etc. We did the best we could, and the problem went away. After medication, we took a sample back to the vet and it was tested and found to be negative, so we were good.

Then, about 4 weeks later, it happened again - bloody diarrhea. I took her back to the vet, she tested positive for giardia again, so we did the Panacur granules only, this time for five days instead of three. Once again, the problem went away. I took a sample to the vet and it again tested negative.

She's been mostly fine for the last three weeks - I say mostly because about a week ago I was cleaning her litter box and as I scooped some of her poop into the bag, I thought I saw something black in it, like maybe a spot of dark blood. Then today, she had bloody diarrhea again. I just took the sample up to my vet for them to test and am waiting for a call.

It's possible that something else is causing bloody diarrhea, but the vet (actually, two different vets at the same office) both attributed it to the giardia. I'll know a little more later today, but trying to figure out where she could be getting it? I know that standing water is a usual culprit, but that isn't an issue - indoor only, freshwater changed regularly.

The vets both told me that giardia can be hard to get rid of, so I don't know if she keeps catching it or has never gotten rid of it. And if she's had it all along, then that leads to two questions: 1) why did she test negative after medication both times and 2) why did the symptoms go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:50 PM
Kitten

The giardia is somewhere on your property, I guess. They hang out in puddles and such.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardi...trol-pets.html

Quote:
Giardia is hard to completely eliminate from the environment, but there are things you can do to help decrease the risk of pet reinfection and of human infection. Please remember that despite your best efforts to clean the environment, Giardia can persist in outdoor spaces and pet reinfection is possible 4.

Wear gloves when handling feces.
Remove feces promptly 4 and put them in a plastic bag.
Limit access to common outdoor spaces, where possible, if pets have diarrhea or are being treated for Giardia.
Eliminate any source of standing water (for example, puddles, containers with water, and fountains that are not in use).
Do not attempt to use bleach or QATS in your soil or grass area, as they will be ineffective.
Do not allow any new animals, especially young ones, to enter the yard or other outdoor space until advised by your veterinarian.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/treat-...dia-39933.html

Quote:
Giardia thrive in moisture-rich areas, so hot dry temperatures will kill them; the organisms are also killed by bleach. However, both of these treatments would also kill the lawn.

Remove fecal matter from the yard as soon as possible after it is deposited so the organisms don't have time to move into the soil. Wash your hands thoroughly after removing the matter and disinfect scoopers or shovels with chlorine bleach after use.

Disinfect hardscape areas like patios and sidewalks with a solution of 1part chlorine bleach and 32 parts water. One minute of exposure to the chlorine bleach solution is enough to kill the giardia.

Lay a soaker hose on the lawn during the hottest part of the summer.

Lay clear plastic tarp over the lawn and the soaker hose, overlapping the ends if you use more than one sheet. Dig the outer edges of the tarp 6 inches into the soil to prevent them from blowing away in high winds.

Leave the tarp in place for six weeks. Water under the tarp weekly with the soaker hose to keep the area moist and the temperatures high. Remove the tarp at the end of the six weeks and resume caring for your lawn as usual.

Last edited by marie73; 08-23-2019 at 12:07 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you for the response.

I wanted to post a quick update. This time, Theory tested negative for giardia. The vet suspects it's food-related, so working on updating her diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page