kitten has diarrhea - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Question kitten has diarrhea

I'm fostering a kitten who's had diarrhea since last night. I cut out the KMR and goat milk right away. Is there anything else I can do that might help? He also has lost his appetite; takes a bite or two of wet food then wanders off. He's never eaten a single bite of kibble in the week or so that I've had him.

Otherwise he doesn't seem sick, so it doesn't seem like a medical emergency. I just don't want him to get dehydrated. He's not been a big water drinker. (I've had kittens who were.)

He's had one episode of low blood sugar, the day after I got him . . . scary! Need to avoid that, too.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:38 PM
Premier Cat

If he were my kitten with those symptoms, I would have him checked out by a vet ASAP. Kittens that are not eating well and have diarrhea can go downhill fast. He may have parasites.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks, catloverami. I'd planned to call the vet but Oden was better when I checked on him this morning. He ate well today and is back to his usual bouncy self. Spoke to the shelter about it and they were concerned about coccidiosis, so I will be keeping a close eye on him . . . which I am doing anyhow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:30 PM
Kitten

It would be a good idea to drop a stool sample off to the vets to check for parasites and infection. Lots of things besides parasites can give kitties diarrhea. Dairy products for one as most cats are lactose intolerant. My cats love milk and I will treat them with a dollop of half and half in their bowls sometimes in the morning after breakfast. Mouse will clamor for more but she is extremely lactose intolerant and if she gets more than a quarter size of half and half she gets very, very gassy.

New foods can cause diarrhea as can very fatty foods. Even though cats can tolerate more fat in their diet than we can, they can still overdo it. Table scraps can cause temporary issues like diarrhea as well.

Food poisoning is another culprit of diarrhea in cats (and humans). There has been pet food recalls in the past due to salmonella contamination. Most food poisoning is limiting and clears up on its own.

Viral infections. There are intestinal viruses that infect cats and dogs that cause the same intestinal distress that the Norovirus causes us.

Food intolerances, food poisoning and viral infections usually are self-limiting and tend to clear up by themselves (assuming that the intolerant food is not given again and the source of food poisoning has been identified and removed).

Last edited by marie73; 09-04-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you, Libby.

Do you know if KMR contains any dairy product? Oden won't eat it at all, even mixed in with his wet food, which is why I was giving him goat milk. I know cow's milk isn't good for cats or kittens, but had been told that goat milk was okay as a replacement for mother's milk.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Kitten

Yeah, here are the ingredients for KMR. You can try goats milk. It's often recommended for cats as they seem to tolerate it better.

Ingredients
Water, Condensed Skimmed Milk, Milk Protein Concentrate, Soybean Oil, Cream, Egg Yolks, Disodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, L-Arginine, Soy Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin E Supplement, Carrageenan, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Calcium Phosphate, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide,Coppersulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Maltodextrins, Vitamin D Supplement, Potassium Citrate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Biotin.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein (min.) 7.5%, crude fat (min.) 4.5%, crude fiber (max.) 0%, moisture (max.) 82%. The calorie content (ME) is 0.83 kcal/ml (calculated).

Last edited by marie73; 09-05-2019 at 05:44 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you, again, Libby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page