Cat Forum banner

New cat has FLUTD

667 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Aliandlukas 
#1 ·
I've just adopted a four year old Tom called Lukas. He has FLUTD. I've got him on Wellness wet food and he takes two astorin FLUTD tablets a day. I've also brought a water fountain to encourage him to drink. Is that pretty much it, or do people have any other thoughts? Thanks

#2 ·
My elderly cat, Blacky, was a stray and only a couple of years old when he adopted us. Shortly after that, he had 2 or 3 urinary tract blockages that required fairly expensive trips to the vet. I was told to give him only canned food, which I did for years, adding some extra water to the food because I never saw him drinking water. My vet also recommended Dasuquin mixed into his food. It's meant for arthritis but is supposed to also help prevent urinary blockages. Three of my outdoor cats eat together, so they all get the Dasuquin.

About 3 or 4 years ago, Blacky developed hyperthyroidism and is now taking medication for that. (I've read that the plastic lining in cat food cans has been implicated in the large number of cats with overactive thyroids.) Other than being very frail, profoundly deaf, and maybe a little senile, he's doing pretty well for an 18 year old cat. He has started drinking water regularly, so I allow him a little dry food and some treats. He hasn't had a blockage since those original times.

The water fountain sounds like a good idea; my indoor cat loves hers. Blacky still refuses to drink from the water bowl, but happily drinks out of a catch basin that captures rain water off our roof. I fill it regularly, and try to keep it clear of the algae, leaves and such that collect in it---but he seems perfectly happy drinking from it regardless.

#4 ·
Cool. Thanks for the feedback so far. Yes its tricky to know whether Lukas is drinking or not. As I say I am just feeding him Wellness and another brand of no grain food called Pets Deli - it's a German brand. I have to say I am impressed with the no grain cat food options here, much better than the UK (I'm a Brit, moved to Germany about a year ago)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.