cleaning up young kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Question cleaning up young kittens

I brought home four very young (3-4 weeks old?) orphan kittens from our local shelter this week, one very malnourished. (He's been seen by my vet.) I'll be fostering them till they're ready for adoption.

They all look like they've been living pretty rough, with dried food, or maybe feces, stuck to their fur. Lots of missing patches of fur, and the sickly one had a horrible looking clump of something stuck between his toes---it came off yesterday like the skin of a blister. Yuck! He's got no fur at all on most of his tail, just scabby stuff. I gave them all baths and cleaned them up best I could. But they still have dried, crusty stuff stuck to their heads and faces, so I can't just soak it off. And none of them smells very good.

Can anyone suggest something harmless that might dissolve the gunk, allowing it to be washed off? I'd try mineral oil, but don't want to give them loose bowels! Not that any of them is doing much self grooming beyond licking leftover food & milk off their feet. (I think they're too young to be eating food, but the largest one is doing fine on canned food mushed with KMR. He has no interest in the bottle. Two others eat a little food, then finish up with a bottle. The littlest guy gets KMR only.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Dawn dishwashing liquid. The same stuff they use to clean up birds and others when there's an oil spill in the ocean.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks, Marie. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Just an update . . . Dawn was great for bathing, left them all smelling much better but did nothing to get the crust off. A little Vaseline worked pretty well on some of it. I wiped it all off before they had a chance to lick any. Not that they're doing that anyhow; I'm constantly having to wipe stuff off of them. I guess they lost their mom before she taught them to clean themselves.

A patch of fur is gone on the leg of one of them. leaving bare skin. Two have exposed areas of tail that are truly horrible looking, like scabby earthworms with leathery skin. Looks like something from the old horror/sci-fi films my husband likes. I sure hope the fur grows back someday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in