Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirtazapine and lactalose

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Libby. 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am afraid my beloved old man Benji has lost more weight. He eats but is on mirtazapine.

Will a cat with cancer still eat if he gets mirtazipine?

Heidi & her protecter Lord Ben::crying:

#2 ·
How many times per week - lactalose

Benji has some trouble with constipation so vet put him on lactalose 2x per week but NOW he gets in his box and absolutely SCREAMS.

I have been told to give this to him each day (Vet has not bothered to call me back). Should I or just 2x per week? :(

#3 ·
A search for lactulose turned up this, under Important Information: "You should not use this medication if you are on a special diet low in galactose (milk sugar)." Which sounds to me like you shouldn't use the drug if you can't tolerate milk sugar. But I could be misinterpreting the warning.

Personally, I've found chia seeds to be very effective in treating constipation. Another internet search suggests that they are safe for cats to eat, so if it were my kitty, I'd try mixing a few of the seeds (maybe 1/8 teaspoon to start with?) in with Benji's wet food, then give it a day to see if that helps.

#4 ·
A little more about the chia seeds:

Make sure Benji's getting enough fluids, too. If you soak the seeds in water, they'll form a gel around the seeds. (That might be contributing to the laxative effect.) You could soak the seeds before adding them to his canned food, or add them dry with a little water.

Checking with your vet would be best, but if s/he's not replying . . .

#5 ·
Constipation is common with cancer as cancer can increase the calcium levels and calcium can be very constipating. My brother dealt with this problem. Some things that can help with constipation in cats:

* Lecithin granules are really good for furballs and constipation. And my cats readily eat it when I just sprinkle it on their food. I have 4 long-haired cats and the lecithin has been very helpful with fur balls and constipation. I've noticed that too much causes the stools to be quite soft.

* Miralax (OTC remedy for constipation) helps by pulling more water into the bowels and can be given to cats.

* Milk Thistle is good for the liver and can help with constipation too. Nature's Answer has an alcohol-free version that I've been giving my 14 year old Patches for her liver. She tolerates it really well. I pull it into an oral syringe to dose her directly rather than put it in her food.

* To help Benji regain muscle and weight read up on the amino acid l-threonine and taurine on amazon. A cat owner left a review about it on Taurine review for her cat who had kidney disease and she said the threonine powder absolutely helped her cat regain muscle. Bulk supplements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.