chronically ill cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
jkh
Kitten

chronically ill cat

Hello all. I am new to the pet forum and needed to introduce myself. I am new to being a cat mom and unfortunately, the cat we have adopted seems to have an underlying disease our vet can't figure out...I am hoping someone, somewhere has had a similar experience and may have received a diagnosis. Reeses is a 1 1/2 year old male tabby cat that began life as a stray. He showed up at my mom's house while we were on vacation in Arizona. His loving personality and intelligent eyes won me over, so my husband, two kids and I relocated him to Wyoming with us. Since we brought him to Wyoming from Arizona (May 2019) he has been chronically ill and seems to be unable to fight off infections. I had our vet run a large panel of tests, and to date, the only thing that has come back positive is feline leukemia. I know this can compromise a cats immune system, but it has literally been one thing after another with this poor cat. He is unable to gain weight, even though he is free fed kitty. His first abnormal symptom appeared when his hind leg seemed to quit working without a physical cause. The vet prescribed Metacam, which greatly seems to help this issue, but the wonky leg still periodically returns. Two months ago an eye infection showed up. Antibiotics were unable to help clear the infection (although the viral medication did seem to help his second eye) and we had to make the tough decision to remove his eye. Since the eye removal surgery, he has had a tough time recovering. His wounds don't seem to heal well, and just today, I had to pick him up from an overnight stay from the vet because he had an abscess burst on his hip and another show up on his back. The vet has prescribed an oral antibiotic to give him twice daily to hopefully start getting him well, but I am at a loss. On a side note, he is a strictly indoor, one room in my house cat...he seems to prefer it this way. Since he has been in Wyoming, the time spent outside has been under 5 minutes and he never left my side. We have dogs in the house, but they have no interaction with him either. If anyone has had a similar experience with their kitty, please reach out. I am trying my hardest to get him nursed back to health but we cant seem to find the underlying cause of all of his issues. Our vet believes that these is likely more than just the feline leukemia going on, but none of the tests are coming back positive. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in