LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Hairballs? Shaving Double Coat? Pajamas?

My cat starts getting really bad hair balls around this time of year which in the past I just dealt with it (he's five years old) I do try to brush him daily but he will still throw up a hairball about once every two/three days. I want to avoid him throwing up as much as possible because last year he ended up swallowing something that obstructed his intestines and he had to have surgery and part of his intestines were removed. He's a picky eater so changing his diet to a hairball formula hasn't worked in the past as he will refuse to eat. He will spit out any hairball balms but will eat coconut oil in his food to help pass some hairballs. The only things I can think of left to try doing are shaving him to a lion cut or putting him in some pajamas all day until I get home and can brush him and try to reduce the amount of hair he is ingesting from cleaning himself. My worry with shaving him is that I believe he is part Maine Coon and he definitely has a double coat. I've read that shaving double coats can cause damage to them and they may not grow back properly which I want to avoid doing any permanent damage if possible which is why I am more inclined to try the pajamas but I figured someone on here might have some better suggestions for me. Thanks for any help.

Here's a link to the kind of pajamas I was thinking of buying him.
http://https://www.amazon.com/Lovelo...8-2-fkmr0&th=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 01:01 PM
Premier Cat

Most cats have two main shedding periods for a few weeks.....early spring and early fall when the length of the days lengthen or shorten. At least this is the case with cats living in more northern countries where there is a distinct winter with colder temperatures. Though occasionally you may have a cat that seems to shed constantly......I've had a few of those over the years. The best thing for longhair cats is to comb them every day during these transition periods. I prefer a steel comb that has half with finer tines on it and other half tines that are a little wider spaced. There are other reasons for shedding, such as stress, medications, sunburn, or an unbalanced diet.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:36 PM
Jr. Cat

I have a long-haired cat who's part Norwegian Forest, I think. He has a thick undercoat and sheds terribly all spring and summer. He's too squirmy for me to do much brushing, so I've had him shaved a couple of times. The only problem is because it's done at the vet's, they knock him out while it's being done . . . but it didn't damage his coat at all. I didn't like that he was being anesthetized for something like that, so last year I trimmed his fur with scissors. It took several sessions to complete and believe me, the results weren't pretty. I haven't decided what to do about it this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180414_095628.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	124384  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180518_084502.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	124386  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in