Heart Failure - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy Heart Failure

My 22 year old cat went from healthy to being euthanized in less than 24 hours and though my heart, head and gut told me putting him to sleep was the right thing to do, I'm now questioning my decision. He suffered a partial Saddle Thrombus (just one leg), and made it clear to me he needed help, so I took him to the vet immediately. An hour or two had passed and he was lightly using the leg, so the doctor gave him antibiotics and sent us home with pain meds and blood thinners. We got home from the vet around 6:00 PM and he was still enjoying his treats, so I had hope. By morning his breathing was short and fast though he was able to walk, so I rushed him back to the vet and she said he was in heart failure. She stabilized him on oxygen and gave him an injection of a diarrhetic to buy me an hour to make a decision. Money wasn't an issue as I'd do anything for my pets, but the doctor made it sound like he would have an uphill battle because of his age, so I decided to let him go. Even if meds could stabilize him and give us a few more weeks or months with him, I couldn't stand to think of him suffering, especially not being able to breathe. He was the nicest cat in the world, definitely a golden retriever of cats. After the oxygen and injection, he was purring again for the first time in almost 24 hours, and seemed to have bounced back, but again I realized this was purely artificial, thanks to the interventions. Anyway, I spent a few minutes with him and then proceeded with putting him to sleep... while he was feeling some relief, rather than letting him decline again. Anyway, I miss him terribly and need some reassurance that I did the right thing, and that his time was up. Money aside. Could I have gotten more time with him, without him having to suffer? I don't think it's fare to put my needs above his. It's just crazy to me that it came out of no where. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:17 PM
Cat

You did the right thing for the best reason- you loved your little one and did not want any suffering to continue. I must have changed my mind 3 times the morning I had to let my Dizzy go and can still, if I dwell on it play the 2nd guessing game. It's the most difficult thing any one who is an animal guardian must do. I know right now you don't feel that way but as others on here will tell you, it's the most selfless expression of love there is.

My condolences to you during this time, remember all the good times you had. 22 years is WONDERFUL

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Jr. Cat

Stacy

You absolutely did the right thing. Your a strong willed person to have put his well being first. Iím glad he didnít have to suffer any drawn out treatment. I bet you have always been an unselfish person in your life. For having 22 years of living, you did everything right. Thatís amazing. What a great life he had with you.

Regards
Larry

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:20 PM
Cool Cat

You chose to put his *needs* above your *wants*. Brave, kind, and good.

None of us wants to lose a furry friend, but just wait until you meet someone who refuses to let a suffering pet go. Then you know *for sure* you did the right thing.

Take care of yourself. Hold onto the thought that he is at rest, at peace, no fear, no suffering... just the pain in your heart, which you are glad to bear for his comfort.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:32 PM
Jr. Cat

Imo, it's usually safe to trust your gut feelings about situations where there are no clear answers. Not being able to breathe would be awful, so you did the kind (though difficult) thing. I'm so sorry . . .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 10:56 AM
Kitten

You followed your heart and did the right thing out of love. I always said people must suffer but we love & take care of our pets and, at the right time, (we always know when), we let them go & I know they thank us for it. Rest easy and know he's happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page