Favorite Litter Box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Favorite Litter Box

Right now the kitten has two small kitten sized litter boxes since he was tiny when we first got him. He's been growing well and should have no issues with a normal sized box now. He's also been stepping in his poop almost once a day (thankfully not every time) so I'm hoping a bigger box will slow this down.

Since I haven't bought one yet, are there any boxes that everyone loves or does everyone stick with the standard affair? I don't want anything that specifically uses the crystal litter or anything that's not eco friendly. I also don't plan on buying a $200 litter box. I live in a two story house so I'll need to buy two of whatever I do buy.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:44 PM
Kitten

I bought this fairly large tote bin from walmart. I dont know the exact size of it. But its low, I believe its the kind that goes under the bed for storage. Not the one with the wheels. But it's a good large size and I believe it was under 20 bucks so I couldn't complain. I have a smaller one in living room and the large one goes into closet that we keep open. Don't have issues of them stepping into their poop.

If you're looking for one more aesthetically pleasing probably online then? I hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Last edited by marie73; 10-31-2019 at 12:12 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:48 PM
Kitten

I got 2 18gal Sterilite totes and cut squares in the fronts and in the lids for cheap and easy covered boxes. My Maine coons used them just fine.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the replies. I do have one, "free," litter box in the form of a foot bath I bought and then never used. It's basically the same shape as a litter box. I only had one, though, and I need two. I did end up buying one with stairs and a slight curve. I figured it would add a slight challenge to the dogs trying to get into it. One litter box is only used when I'm at work and the cat's locked away (until he gets older), so the dogs don't get to that one. Hopefully the odd ball litter box and the gate I already have up will keep my dog's from sneaking any, "snacks." They are the size of an adult cat... so, unless someone invents a litter box that can sense animal specie, I have to stay creative.

I don't know if I need a new topic for this... but, can you put litter boxes on top of things (very steady things) and still appeal to a cat's natural instincts? When Siberious can jump onto large flat objects then the litter box and the roaming dogs won't be an issue. They have short legs and they are not jumpers at all. They can't even make it into the couch half of the time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:11 AM
Cool Cat

I doubt the cat would mind. I knew a cat who had been raised in a cage and when he became a pet he found the toaster and the stove burner were acceptable litter boxes. (ugh, yuccch) However, you might want to be sure the "up" box is on a non-slip surface, like that rubbery mesh they put under throw rugs. Or you could use Quake Putty or Museum Wax if you don't have to move the box often.

What a mess if the box fell to the floor - probably that cat would never use that box again no matter what. Can't blame him.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Kitten

We put a box inside a "bench" type piece of furniture and one in the bathroom with a long hook and eye piece to prop the door open wide enough for the cats but not the dog.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 07:52 PM
Premier Cat

I also use an 18 gallon tote. I don't use the lid but do cut a square hole in the front. 6 buck at home depot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page