new cat not eating - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

new cat not eating

I've just adopted a new 2 yr old cat (Cody) who desperatly needed a home. The problem is that he's not eating much at all and is now vomiting the water he's been drinking. He's vomited three times just today. The skin at the knape of his neck is still loose though, which I believe is a sign that he's still hydrated.

I do have three other cats, and after four days, they all seem to be adapting to the each other rather well. I realize it's normal for a cat's appetite to be low in new and stressful surroundings, but I'm getting worried.

I'm wondering if it's stress that's affecting Cody, or maybe a new schedule that he's not wanting to adapt to. At my house we need to keep the cats on a feeding schedule and feed them in seperate rooms. The reason is that one of my cats will eat himself into obesity if the food is left out all the time. I know Cody is used to having his food out all the time and I think he's used to eating in the middle of the night, as he's been crying and wandering the house while we are trying to sleep.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Ickysgirl70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 05:47 AM

Offer your new cat some food several times a day in the place where you want your cat to eat, you don't want your cat to starve. Try giving him something yummy to cats such as canned. How long have you had your new cat? If you've just adopted then give him a little time to understand your schedule and get used to his new home. Make sure he always has water to drink at anytime of the day. If your cat continues not to eat you might consider taking him to the vet to get him checked out. Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 05:09 PM

Perhaps you can purchase something really special from the deli for him. I buy Max & Ben either the oven roast turkey or Angus beef. They go nuts for this kind of non-spiced meat. Maybe Cody (my daughter's name too) can get a few calories a day this way until she starts feeling at home. I have seen this happen to cats that go through a move. Their appetite drops for a few days. Nothing to get too worried about.

I would consider a trip to the vet if it continues for another 4 days. Show him lots of attention and he will come around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:23 PM

Your kitty is probably having a slightly hard adjustment, especially if he's used to eating whenever he's hungry. Maybe you could feed him more often for a couple of days and then gradually increase the amount of food and decrease the number of feedings in one day until he is on the same schedule as the other cats. also, is he getting the same food that he was eating before you adopted him......tha could also make a difference. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page