Older Cat peeing, defecating and drinking water non-stop! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Older Cat peeing, defecating and drinking water non-stop!

Hello,

My family's cat "Spookum" has been acting strange for the last few months. He is approximately 12 years old and has been peeing and defecating throughout the house.
He also drinks water day and night and now lives in the bathroom laying on the counter top beside sink waiting for people to turn on tap.
The litter box has been kept clean, I don't think he uses it any longer.
My family wants to take spook to the SPCA as they cant stand the suprises and smell everywhere.
If you ignored the above issues Spook is still normal, he rolls around, meows and is more affectionate then ever.
What can I do, I dont live in the house but seem to be Spooks only ally...

Thanks,
Zak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Cat

take him to the vet right away. drinking water constantly is a sign of diabetes. he needs to be tested. hope he is ok

tamara
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 12:05 AM

I agree, take him to the vet ASAP for an exam. The constant thirst sounds like a warning sign. As far as a quick fix, I would try moving his litterbox to a different location if possible. Maybe replace it all together and see if that helps. If he has not had this problem in 12 years, he is trying to tell you something....if only they could speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 12:04 PM

Re: Older Cat peeing, defecating and drinking water non-stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak88lx
Hello,

My family's cat "Spookum" has been acting strange for the last few months. He is approximately 12 years old and has been peeing and defecating throughout the house.
He also drinks water day and night and now lives in the bathroom laying on the counter top beside sink waiting for people to turn on tap.
The litter box has been kept clean, I don't think he uses it any longer.
My family wants to take spook to the SPCA as they cant stand the suprises and smell everywhere.
If you ignored the above issues Spook is still normal, he rolls around, meows and is more affectionate then ever.
What can I do, I dont live in the house but seem to be Spooks only ally...

Thanks,
Zak
I agree you need to take him to be checked out - don't leave it. It could also be Kidney disease (which can be controlled if caught early) which is very common(I have just lost a 10 year old cat to this, after trying to save him with a kidney transplant (he died two weeks after the op)- my cat drank a lot towards the end - constant drinking, and towards the end my cat used to sleep in the bath and I had to turn the tap on so it dripped constantly for him throughout the night .

Take your cat to the vets - every one keeps mentioning Diabieties, but Kidney failure/disease is very common , it could be that too.

What ever it is - take your cat to the vet , because if there is a problem, some diseases/problems can be controlled if caught early.

I only wish my cat was digonised earlier, I may still have him.

All the best
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:40 PM

Hi,
I had a cat that was drinking a lot of water. At the time she was also losing weight. I took her to the vet and she was diabetic. If your cat is diabetic its not that hard or expensive to take care of, I gave my cat two needles a day. she didn't mind at all. That was 5 years ago. I recently had to put her down due to other problems. She was 17 years old!
Do youself a favor and take your cat to the vet before its too late.

Good luck with your fur baby.

[email protected]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 12:25 AM

I agree take the kitty to the vet. With diabetes the cat shouldn't have problems with going in the litter box. Have you changed the brand of litter recently?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyhoo
take him to the vet right away. drinking water constantly is a sign of diabetes. he needs to be tested. hope he is ok
Sounds like diabetes too... My old cat got that when he got older.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 08:24 PM

I agree with the diabetes. I don't know much about cat diabetes but if they experience the same symptoms as humans then it sounds a lot like it. Let us know what happens.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 11:35 PM

It could also be a thyroid problem. What happened at the vet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page