What's Really in Pet Food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

What's Really in Pet Food

This site is a real eye-opener. I am very picky about what I feed my cats; I only give them food made with human-grade meat.

http://www.api4animals.org/doc.asp?ID=79

Some of the better brands are: Azmira, California Natural, Innova, Lick Your Chops, PetGuard, Precise, Wellness, and Wysong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 08:08 PM

Wow, your right. I never knew a lot of that stuff
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Cat Addict

Leopard what do you feed your cats? and better yet what do they like...

Visit The Animal Rescue Site at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
feed an abandoned or abused animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

I feed them Lick Your Chops Lamb and Brown Rice (their favorite) and PetGuard Chicken and Wheat Germ Dinner. Occasionally I'll feed something else for variety, usually Evolve chicken or turkey, Lick Your Chops turkey or chicken. I don't feed beef or fish because they make Sunshine throw up. Ember is allergic to Wellness, so that's out too. I only feed canned food; dry food isn't very good for cats (they're meant to eat meat, not lots of grains, and they're supposed to get moisture with their food), and it's terrible for cats with IBD, which Ember has (although she's doing very well).
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

I give my cats Royal Canin. It´s based on rice and chicken. Nothing strange or weird in that food
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Kitten

Thanks, Leopard ... a real eyeopener. One of my kittens is very fussy ... maybe it's because of the quality of the regular cat food I've been giving them. I'll have to do a better job of picking out their food.
daffy Dave
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 08:29 PM

Iams? IAMS?!

Okay, I am pissed off. I have read about the poor quality of grocery store cat food before, but this is the first time I have seen Iams mentioned.

Iams is an expensive cat food. My husband and I are both very poor college students. We make maybe $20,000 per year but we feed our cats Iams because we thought it was one of the better foods and it's the only thing we can feed Mouser without him throwing it up... we buy this stuff in spite of the fact that we live on ramen noodles and sandwhiches made with two deli thin slices of meat. Because of our schedule and absent-mindedness it would be very hard for us to switch to a canned food (not to mention the $$$). I don't know what to do! Help me please.

- koneko
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Premier Cat

Thanks for the link. I think that was a very informative site. I learned alot of helpful things in there.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 07:04 PM

Hi Koneko-- I can relate because am a poor grad student too! My mom jokes that my cat eats better than me, lol. I started my cat off on Purina One, but have since been trying better quality foods that don't have by prodicts or corn. You don't really spend that much more money in the long run because the bags last longer, she doesn't have to eat as much per day. My latest experiment if Felidae, the ingredients are so much better than most commercial brands and it is a smaller company. A lot of people on this board seem to recommend it, and a local pet store carries bags of the dry food so I thought I'd give it a try. It was $8 for a 5lb bag, I think you can also get in 20lb. It took my cat a couple of days to come around but now she loves it! I also give her a bit of IAMS canned food (I only go through about one can per week), I'd like to give her something better but any other wet food I've tried she hasn't liked and is expensive. I've heard that it isn't good to feed an all canned diet because dry food helps to keep their teeth healthy. Has anyone else heard that?

Also, this article makes "meal" sound bad, but I thought that it was better to have, say, chicken meal as opposed to chicken as the top ingredient. So now I'm confused.

This article grossed me out! So sad that companies get away with this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 01:10 PM

i'm confused about the meal issue too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page