Asthma - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Asthma

My cat Mouser has asthma. The vet said that it could be treated with steroids but he thought that that was too extreme and harsh. He said that it would have many bad side effects and it would make Mouser no joy to be around.

Mouser doesn't have asthma attacks much in the winter. As a matter of fact I have only seen him have one this year and it didn't last very long. But summer is just around the corner here in Louisiana (one of the worst states to have a respiratory problem in) and with summer comes increased asthma attacks as well as increased outside time (right now my indoor/outdoor cats are spending the vast majority of their time inside because they don't like the weather).

Is there anything I could do to ease Mouser's asthma attacks besides steroids? I can't deny him his outside time because he needs his excercise and going out into the woods behind our house and playing is one of his great joys in life.

- koneko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 02:23 PM

I’ve read that true asthma generally responds fast to a combination of bronchodilators, oxygen therapy, and fast acting steroids.
Long-term treatment of asthma usually includes short or long-term use of corticosteroids (such as prednisone), and bronchodilators (such as terbutaline or aminophyline). Sorry I couldn't help more
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 08:55 PM

asthma

I know this is an old post but I am putting a new message here to help other cat owners with asthmatic cats.

Gizmo used to have frightening asthmatic attacks, but they were not consistent. The vet said that it was too expensive to put her on dilators when the attacks were intermittent.

She has not had a single attack since I got a BlueAir air filter for the studio (the dustiest room in the house and where Gizmo spends a significant amount of time.)

You need not get this particular brand, but a HEPA air filter will remove the dusts and molds that trigger an asthmatic attack. A HEPA vacuum cleaner is also essential. Other types of vacuums simply blast the dust into the air. Gizmo had her worst attack just after a cleaner vacuumed with the 'wrong' vacuum.

These machines are expensive but they will save you a fortune in veterinary bills.
In addition: They are good for
your lungs as well as for the cat's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 07:43 AM

Cats can have tablets for asthma. I assume they are bronchial dilators?
Longterm corticosteroids would be contraindicated in any animal because of their immunosuppressant effect.
The hepa suggestions are brilliant. Asthma is an allergic reaction so eliminating allergens and 'preventing' an attack is better than trying to 'cure' one.
I also have a nebuliser for my rabbits and made a nebulising chamber for them using a carry box.
My own health is much improved by taking antihistamines daily. I have multiple allergies and mild asthma and antihistamines have had a massive impact on the amount of RTIs I have had. Cant remember the last time I had bronchitis (touches wood).
Another tip along the hepa line is not to polish furniture but rather use a damp cloth to wipe. Dust mite sprays are also available but check the toxicity to cats before using a pesticide.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:21 PM

I use dust mite laundry detergent and have 'bagged' the bed with mite proof covers.
All of these things are good for me as well as for the cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page