Drinking a lot of water - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Drinking a lot of water

We just adopted a 2 year old female medium hair domestic cat from the humane society about two weeks ago. This is my first cat. She is so lovely and such a great cat.

My question is: She seems to drink a LOT of water. She likes to drink water as soon as we fill her bowl (Although I have heard her drink out of her bowls through the night). I know I get her fresh water twice a day and my fiance once a day. She'll sit there and lap up water for at least 2 minutes before finally taking a break. Is this a normal amout of drinking?

I have 2 guina pigs and I know excessive water drinking is attributed to diabetes. The vets at the humane society checked her out, she is up to date on all shots and I had my vet check her out when I first got her (before I had the drinking question). Any advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 01:03 PM
Cat

2 minuets at the water dish is not bad but how many times a day does she drink? my one cat, who eats just dry food goes to the water dish 2-3 times a day as i have observed. my other cat who eats wet canned food drinks less. call your vet if you think she is drinking too much, too often.

tamara
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

The only disease I know about that causes abnormal drinkingbehavior is diabetes. If you´re vet have checked here out and found her healthy she probably doesn´t drink too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 11:30 AM

Re drinking a lot

Hi,

Ask your vet about the kidneys. I have just lost my beloved cat( last week) he was ten year old. Ever since he was a young kitten he drank a lot - it's a long story, other things masked the symptoms, I thought he was drinking because he was on cortisone (which does make them drink) for a mouth disease.

Anyway - drinking a lot can mean he has a problem with the kidneys (there's a few diseases relating to the kidneys) .

My cat had some disease called glomer ... something, can't remember the exact name. He went through a kidney transplant this month - but he only survived two weeks after the op, picked up an infection of the liver and died in his sleep.

Hope this helps , make sure you ask your vet if it could be the kidneys that's the problem (the only way that they can tell for certain is if they take a blood test first and measure the BUN, if necessary they will then take a Biopsy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page