Sick? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Sick?

Just earlier this morning my cat vommited two times and since then he's been acting weird. He cries for a few meows, and he does not sit down, even now he's drinking water without his tail touching the ground. He also feels kinda scared whenever I approach him... Should I take him to the vet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 02:13 AM

Re: Sick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpe
Just earlier this morning my cat vommited two times and since then he's been acting weird. He cries for a few meows, and he does not sit down, even now he's drinking water without his tail touching the ground. He also feels kinda scared whenever I approach him... Should I take him to the vet?
Hi,

I'm not vet, but

It could be thousands of reasons for this, anything from a simple constipation, a stomach upset, something he's eaten , to even - if he's an outdoor cat - it could be he was beaten up, a bite or scratch wound to the underneath which you have noticed, to something more serious.

If he were my cat ,and he's no better tomorrow, still acting in the same manner, I would take him to see a vet just for piece of mind.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 06:03 AM

I agree with Ceri. Give him a day and see what happens, then if nothing changes, he's still acting strange and vomiting; you should take you kitty to the vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

hello again and thanks for your answers

he is feeling better now, being a lot more active (trying to find a way of scratching my shoes as I write ). he slept the whole day and ate a bit. He hasnt vommited since but he still seems to feel pain under his tail. Sometime he cries, probably wanting me to comfort him and he stops a while after I pet him and let hem on my lap. He seems better, I hope that whatever he had has passed. However I will take him to the vet just in case.

Thanks again all
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

hello again

it seems thing are a lot worse for my kitty
I just came back from the vet, he is suffering from urinary blockage, his bladder is swollen, and full of blood (possibly blood with urine)...I just cant figure out all this has happened in one day. I cant believe how stupid I am, I should have visited the vet from the very first symptom

The vet gave him medicine, antibiotics and removed a part of the blood, hoping to help the cat urinate. I will take him again tomorrow, for now he is very weak, does not move at all, and whenever he tries to move he is shaking like he's not able to balance.He is also not drinking any water at all, and I fear that this will help toxins gather inside his system.

Have anyone faced the same problem before? I am desperate
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 10:17 AM

Hi,

I do hope he is better.

This is why I said take him to the vet - I have had many cats over the years, mostly strays which have adopted me. They have had all sorts happening to them.I have found in most cases if they are acting strange , there is a reason for it - sometimes it may be just something simple, other times it does turn out to be serious - and some thing can be cured or managed if caught early. You know your cat better than any other person including vets, and if you think he/she is acting weird, it is usually because there is a problem with the cat

If it's the same thing which I think your talking about, it's called urinary tract disease/disorder. one of my cats has had this in the past. What my then vet told me what caused mine to happen was it was caused by too much dried food, whether she was right in her diagnose of the cause; I don't know.

It's a pretty common disorder. My cat had to have urine pulled out with the needle, then was put on to drugs, I had to give him tablets for two weeks I seem to recall - and the problem did clear up, he was back to normal within no time.

. The symptoms of my cat before I took him to the vets were; acting very odd, and he was in and out of the litter tray literally every two minutes but not "doing much" - just a tiny little widdle after straining so much, and crying with it - then I noticed blood in one of the little wet patches in the litter tray. And immediaetly took him to the vets

I can't remember mine ever not drinking water though (this happened 7 years ago to one of my cats- so I'm trying to remember the symptoms)

If he hasn't drunk any water overnight by tomorrow - take him back to the vets.

Good luck

P.S

here are two links explaing it
http://www.lbah.com/Feline/flutd.htm , http://www.wigfairfach.freeserve.co.uk/article14.html

if you search on the term "Feline urinary tract disease" in your search engine ,( I used the Google search engine , these two links were on the first result page, there were heaps of other links there too ) , you should come across lots of information for this disorder which may help you a bit more.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Cat

Urinary blockage is a very serious condition. Stay incontact with your vet about any little thing. i hope he is better soon.

tamara
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceri
If it's the same thing which I think your talking about, it's called urinary tract disease/disorder. one of my cats has had this in the past. What my then vet told me what caused mine to happen was it was caused by too much dried food, whether she was right in her diagnose of the cause; I don't know.
Hello ceri, really thanks for answering.
Yes, as i searched on the web the best cases that describe his problem is urinary block and UT. Dry food seems to have caused this since i read that dry food may cayse crystals and therefore cause the blocking, and he has been eating dry food since i adopted him

Quote:
It's a pretty common disorder. My cat had to have urine pulled out with the needle, then was put on to drugs, I had to give him tablets for two weeks I seem to recall - and the problem did clear up, he was back to normal within no time.
Was the urine mixed with blood? as far is I saw from the small amount he extracted, it seemed to be only blood. And his bladder was huge...the shape of an orange.

He is not feeling any better now, so probably tomorrow he's gonna undergo surgical removal of the crystals/bacteria or whatever caused the blocking, and possibly have the fluid extracted by needle.

I also would like to ask you, if you remember how many days he suffered..Its gonna be two days tomorrowm and most of the websites I read give this disease/disorder a three to six days before it proves fatal

He is already not drinking or eating the vet gave him some fluids (i dont remember the english medical term) to help with dehudration but im very worried cause he does not drink or eat. at all. As for the fact that he's not drinking water i think its normal as his organism cannot produce urine and he feels "full"

He also cries some times, and doesnt move much, most of the time lying inside the sand of his toilet or on the bed or floor. He shakes, as i mentioned before, he seems to be in a lot of pain while moving. Sometimes when he lies down trying to sleep he breathes in a strange way, i often have to touch him to make sure he is alive

Im sorry i keep posting, i know that the vet should know better..i just feel frustrated and desperate I need to know wether or not i should worry of my kitty leaving me.

Once again i would like to thank you all for your patience and understanding
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpe
Quote:
Hello ceri, really thanks for answering.
Yes, as i searched on the web the best cases that describe his problem is urinary block and UT. Dry food seems to have caused this since i read that dry food may cayse crystals and therefore cause the blocking, and he has been eating dry food since i adopted him

Quote:
Was the urine mixed with blood? as far is I saw from the small amount he extracted, it seemed to be only blood. And his bladder was huge...the shape of an orange.

He is not feeling any better now, so probably tomorrow he's gonna undergo surgical removal of the crystals/bacteria or whatever caused the blocking, and possibly have the fluid extracted by needle.

I also would like to ask you, if you remember how many days he suffered..Its gonna be two days tomorrowm and most of the websites I read give this disease/disorder a three to six days before it proves fatal
I honestly can't remember about the blood bit - only when he" pee'd" , there was blood in the little wet patch in his litter tray, and when I took him to the vets she extracted the urine with a needle - how much blood was in it - I don't know.
Mine -he was odd for a couple of days, 3 to maybe 5 days, after I had taken him to the vet (but he definitely started improving as soon as he was on the medication) - I think it took two weeks to clear up fully (100 per cent back to normal).
Your problem sounds bad (some cats it can be very serious), more serious than my cat had it .

Take your cat back to the vets.

good luck
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

bad news :(

hello again all

unfortunately my kitty did not make it

I took him back to the vet on Thursday. Despite all the efforts of the vet it was impossible to cathetirise him, because apart from the crystal/bacteria which caused the blockage, the whole urinar tube was also blocked. The vet removed the urine from the bladder (filled 5 injection tubes!) to relieve the kidneys so that my kitty would not suffer until we moved him to the clinic, scheduled for the same the afternoon.

Unfortunately on the way he fell onto uremic shock. During the past two days, his bladder was not able to hold the urine which fell back into the blood stream. Even if we removed the urine/blood, toxins had already gathered inside his system, thus causing coma and death in a matter of hours.

Apparently the blockage happened over a week ago, but somehow the cat did not give any signs of suffering until the last two days. I should have taken him to a vet from the very first moment, I did not imagine it was so serious

As for the cause of the blockage: It was possibly due to bad quality dry food. I did the tragic mistake of not buying dry food from a vet once, when he was out of town, so possibly a crystal from the food caused the blockage.

I had him since he was a couple of months old, I definately will and already miss him

I will wait a while and i'm thinking of adopting another kitty, midspring or summer time (possibly two, so as to keep each other company since i'm preparing for university and I will be away a bit more than now). At least i'm a bit comforted by the fact that the vet reassured me that my kitty did not feel any pain when he left us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page