cat vomits a lot - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

cat vomits a lot

I've had my cat for almost 2 years now. Over the course of these two years, he vomits from time to time. He'll go a week or so without vomitting and then he lets it go. He'll go 4 days in a row vomitting everyday. I changed his food about 7 months ago to Science Diet. i thought that it would be better than the store brand. The vet said about a year ago that everything was looking good. He loves to puke when he is eating. It just comes up and it is a whole lot. I don't feel that it is serious but it is annoying for me. I hope that he is well. Is it my food? Is he sick? I just don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 10:47 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Bengalsownme
Is the vomit unchewed or whole food? If it is he is probably eating to fast. Maybe feed him smaller portions more frequently? If it continues call the vet to see if he feels the cat should be seen.

Julie
Dotagious Bengals, FL
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

it usually is whole food. does this mean that he is eating too fast? should i feed him less more often. i'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Bengalsownme
By all means consult your vet. From experience it sounds like the cat is eating too much too fast. My cat does the same but only with certain food. What kind of food are you feeding the cat? Are you giving it table scraps? Make sure your cat is still having bowel movements because your vet will probably ask you that when you call. BTW: My cat recently did that and it was when I switched from Iams to Science diet weight reduction. Then I went to Iams weight reduction adn she still did it. Now she is eating my pregnant cats food kitten Iams. I think it might have been the fiber in the weight reduction that didn't help but the cat does eat a lot too fast.

Julie
Dotagious Bengals, FL
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Kitten

My cat Rocky vomits too if he eats too fast, I feed him moist food in the morning he never throws that up. the dry food I give in small amounts and if he has just a bit too much it comes right back up. Try smaller amounts I think that should help. if not ask your vet.

good luck

[email protected]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

My cats vomit if they eat their food to fast. If it doesn´t help your cat giving him smaller amounts of food you can try to put water in the dry food and let it swell for a while until the food is soft and then give it to the cat.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Premier Cat

Only my cat Sugar ever throws up her food. I used to feed them 3 times a day and in the morning she would eat too fast and puke later. I leave it out now and she doesnt eat too fast anymore unless I feed them canned food but she doesnt throw that up at all. It may also be the type of food also b/c any other brand than Science diet ID and she will puke.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 06:57 AM
Senior Cat

jes: Don't switch foods too much.

There's a possibility he's allergic to something in the ingredients. Try a lamb and rice formula as apposted to meat by-products or chicken and corn recipies.

I also encougage trips to the vet 2x a year, to help head off any problems, instead of letting some health problem develope for a full year before you catch it.

Try not to let him eat too fast, feed him peice by peice by hand.

Elevate his bowl, put it on top of a phone book, something so that it makes his food more level with his head so he doesn't have to bend down.
All of the above might help. But also bring him to the vet.

Here are some great foods, some of which you can find in various formulas for our pets which are allergic to preservatives, beef, corn..etc.
Dry food only...

Frist Grade Cat Food:
Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul - Adult, Kitten
Evolve - Kitten, Maintenance
Felidae
Holistic Blend
Natural Balance
Newman's Own Organics - Cat/Kitten
Pinnacle
Solid Gold
Wellness
Innova
California Natural
TimberWolf Organics - Serengeti Herbal
Blue
BrightLife

Second Grade Cat Food:
Nature's Recipe - Adult
Sensible Choice
Lick Your Chops
Natures Variety

Third Grade Cat Food:
Annamaet
Artemis
Breeders Choice - Avo-Derm
Azmira
Bil - Jac
Diamond
Eagle Pack
Excel
Flint River Ranch
Hi-Tor
Natural Life - Adult, Kitten
Nutro Max
Nutro Natural Choice
PetGuard
Precise
Premium Edge
Prism
Pro Pac
Pro Plan
Professional
Purina ONE
Royal Canin
Triumph
VeRUS
Wysong - Uretic, Vitality
Authority
Maxximum Nutrition
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Kitten

vomit

Hi,

My cat vomits sometimes if he eats something he shouldn't like a plant leaf or soap - he likes to lick the tub - which may have soap residue. So those are some other reasons why they vomit.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Kitten

Hi, Holly usually vomits whole food if she's got a hairball, she'll swallow loads of whole food, she'll have a mad fit, running up and down the room constantly for a couple of minutes, then she'll vomit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page