My Kitty Won't Eat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

My Kitty Won't Eat

I have a 13-year old male cat, named Smokey, who all of sudden on Feb. 1 stopped eating. He has been diagnosed with FIV and the vet thinks he is in the later stages :( Please help! I've tried syringe feeding him cat food, baby food. I just wonder if anyone else has experienced this and what was the outcome? The vet is suggesting euthanasia, but we don't want to put him down because he is showing "normal" signs as well. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 09:29 AM

Hello KittyMommy

I do not know a lot about FIV, only that it is similar to our HIV virus. Loss of appetite is a common symptom. Are there any other symptoms like weakness and fever? Is he living indoors?

If he is living indoors, and he actually is in the later stages, he still could act normal, as the virus does not have any serious effect on him: The virus just weakens his immune system, leaving him defenceless,so even the simplest cold may prove fatal: staying indoors, the chances of catching a cold or any other disease are minimum.

My girlfriend's kitty, a 9year old female, was diagnosed with FIV. She kept her indoors most of her life, and with the proper antibiotics and medicine, the kitty lived to 11,5 years.

However I am not a vet and I cannot give you information which could jeopardise the life of your kitty. You can find more information on FIV here: http://www.catconnection.net/care/fiv.htm
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 06:05 AM
Cat

there is no telling how long he will be with you. But when the time comes, its time.

tamara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 12:45 PM

I feel that if the quality of life is still there then you shouldn't put the cat down...but too often the owner doesn't want to see if their pet suffering and often think of themslves because they can't bare to be without there cat/dog . I generally would listen to the vet. He/she has no emotional attatchment to your cat so there for is giving a suggestion based on facts and reality and not personal feelings for the animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page