Info. & Links on why canned is better than all dry diet - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 168 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Cat
Older kitten of 5 months I'm having more luck with. I feed Wellness for kittens and she seems to like it but is not going crazy over it. She'll eat about 1/2 of a 3.2oz can 3 times a day. I dont feel like she's getting enough to eat.
Hmm, at 5 months old...he's probably approximately 5 lbs or so...and if he's eating a 1/2 of a 3.2oz can 3 times a day...he's getting 3.2 + 1.6 = 4.8 oz...that's seems about right to me. I think the norm. is just under an ounce per pound of body weight. He's a kitten, so he's entitled to eat more than an adult cat, however at 5 months he doesn't need to eat as much as the younger one does. The wet food seems to fill them up more as well!

If the other kitten is 3 months old, he'll probably come around. I wouldn't be so quick to offer him the dry food after the wet. He probably knows it's coming and will hold out for it. Though you have to do what you have to do, if he doesn't eat for a whole day, you gotta feed him whatever he'll eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 168 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Senior Cat

Thanks again AddFran...She's about 6.5 lbs. maybe I'm feeding her to much lol Actually I know she sneaks in nibbles of the dry food that I feed the younger guy. I'll have to monitor that and use your 1 oz per pound as a reference. But I feel better about the amount she's consuming. Seems to be right where she should be.

Now the younger one on the other hand chases me around the house darting in and out of my feet looking for food maybe I'll try withholding the dry food and leave the wet out for a bit longer to see what happens, maybe offer it to him a few times before giving into the dry food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Touch gently the Life Of your fellow man
For the human heart Shapes as easily As clay upon The potter's wheel
post #13 of 168 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to 22Raiynee22 Send a message via Yahoo to 22Raiynee22

wow! thankz addfran, you've helped my food search a lot! thankz again!

Rachelle Aka Raiyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabulously made by ForJazz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 168 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 08:28 AM
ju
Kitten

Thanks for posting all of this info - it is so interesting.

My cats were fed canned food as kittens, but the vet told me to put them on all-dry food as this is apparently better for them. A year down the line one of my cats is overweight and I just haven't been able to figure out why - we don't feed him lots of treats etc.

These articles have given me a possible reason. I'm going to carry on reading them and rethink my cats' feeding regime entirely.

Thanks again!

Julia
post #15 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

It really shouldn't be out longer than 30 minutes I believe. Oh, and dry food doesn't clean your cats teeth! It's not a bad idea, however, to rotate dry foods from time to time - this helps your cat become to picky and i think it's supposed to reduce the risk of food allergies...
That last part I'm not absolutely certain about though.
post #16 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 03:15 AM
Jr. Cat

This section is INVALUABLE. I hope it's stuck with Super Glue!

-Cat Lovers are the Best People on God's Earth
post #17 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 04:24 AM
Kitten

What about a combo?
I feed my cat at most a half cup of dry food in the morning, and then he gets a forth of a can of wet food for dinner. (I used to give him a whole can, but he only eats about a 4th so, there ya go.)

I thought dry was supposed to help keep a cat's teeth clean.
If it doesn't then what should you do for cat teeth?
I've heard that cats on an all wet diet have teeth problems later in life. . .

post #18 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Studies have shown that there really isn't any benefit to having a cat eat dry food at all when it comes to it's teeth. Dr. Jean describes it as expecting eating crackers to help keep your teeth clean.

A combo of wet and dry is certainly more healthy than dry food alone, but if it fits your schedule you may want to eventually switch to all wet food if you can.

You can brush your cats teeth if you are concerned about dental hygiene and maintenance, or you can have your vet do it too.
post #19 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Jr. Cat

Very Interesting

Both of my cats are over weight. Niki just passed away, we still don't know why, and she was only five. She was my fat cat. Maybe she would have not gotten sick if I was on this forum months and read this or the debate that has been going on. Not that it was the food that made her sick, but to avoid my other indoor cat Emma, to get sick and continue to be over weight, I will try this.

Thank you.

lj
post #20 of 168 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 01:26 AM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to mcschmidt
I think the 1 oz per pound is kinda excessive, I mean taking into factor my cats weight which is 15 pounds, thats about 15 oz and that seems to be a lot of food!

Also I believe I read somewhere that animals like cats don't benefit from dry food for teeth reasons because their teeth arent designed in such a fashion where it would benefit from such a thing, it's designed for meat and that it

My Cat wears a Tux so naturally his name is Tux. I'm pretty Original. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page