Info. & Links on why canned is better than all dry diet - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 168 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Kitten

I know this is an old topic here, but I just wanted to add that I had a cat who lived to be 19 and she was only fed canned food (Fancy Feast). We had to have her put to sleep in October because she was in severe pain with arthritis and hip dysplasia and she had stopped eating. Being on the canned food only, she did very well other than her teeth getting bad towards the end. I would definitely recommend a diet of canned and some dry for the teeth.

CarolinaCatLover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 168 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I believe a few studies have shown that dry food MIGHT POSSIBLY have a SLIGHT effect on teeth... but honestly, if they did then feeding a few kibbles (or even crunchy treats) once a day would have the same effect of them being fed nothing but dry food.

Honestly, a good dental hygiene program is really better than depending on food to do the work for you.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #23 of 168 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
I believe a few studies have shown that dry food MIGHT POSSIBLY have a SLIGHT effect on teeth... but honestly, if they did then feeding a few kibbles (or even crunchy treats) once a day would have the same effect of them being fed nothing but dry food.

Honestly, a good dental hygiene program is really better than depending on food to do the work for you.
The studies show that dry food produces slightly less tartar than wet food. That's it. That's the whole benefit.

So I heartily agree with you on that second paragraph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to Vanessatx
What should I do

I was just told that the kitten food Im giving my cat is no good, and now I read this so... OK Im gonna start giving Mischief canned food but my problem is I leave myhouse at 8:30 am and dont come back 'till 6. My boyfriend plays with the kitty while he's home but he wont worry about feeding her. My question is how much shpuld I feed her, how often and what do I do while Im gone?. BTW she's about 3 months old
post #25 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Cat Addict

Re: What should I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessatx
I was just told that the kitten food Im giving my cat is no good, and now I read this so... OK Im gonna start giving Mischief canned food but my problem is I leave myhouse at 8:30 am and dont come back 'till 6. My boyfriend plays with the kitty while he's home but he wont worry about feeding her. My question is how much shpuld I feed her, how often and what do I do while Im gone?. BTW she's about 3 months old
As an unspayed kitten, she should have access to food at all times. Leave out the dry (hey, even finish that bag of Meow Mix!) and give her canned at mealtimes. After her spay operation, remove the dry food and have her only on the canned. She won't starve while you're at work, I promise.
post #26 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to Vanessatx
OK, thank you on that tip. I really dont want anyhting to happen to kitty, I prefer to spend some money now and keep her healthy rather than save a couple dollars now and spend thousands later. ( I dont have thousands )
post #27 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I had always wondered what is the difference between those so-called tartar control treats and dry food. Tartar control treats (especially Whiskas) are made of mostly corn and my cats hated them. I had wondered if I could just feed canned food with some dry food instead of feeding canned and using tartar control treats.
post #28 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Premier Cat

We sell a prescription tartar control diet made by Hills and I've never quite figured out the difference between it and regular food

I think giving a few pieces of kibble after a meal would have just as much effect as giving the "tartar control" treats, and is still just as effective as feeding nothing but dry... based on the theory that dry food keeps teeth clean.

The best way is by brushing though

Jessie

post #29 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Jr. Cat

Ok, I looked through some of the links, but I'm still confused. Could someone please summarize the pros/cons of wet vs. dry? Is a mix ok? I don't think I can feed my cats all wet. Right now we are transitioning them over from Purino One to Natural Balance dry. One of our cats gets a pouch of Nutro Natural a day(he has IBS) along with dry. So basically could some just give me a review of what the health benefits, etc. are to feeding wet instead of dry.
post #30 of 168 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 09:51 PM
Premier Cat

I think feeding a mix is just fine.

To sum up what I believe to be true about the two:

Feeding ONLY dry food tends to leave many cats slightly dehydrated because they rely on food to get their moisture, most cats don't drink enough water on their own. This can put some stress on their internal organs, like kidneys. Also, it can lead to a more concentrated urine and possible UTIs and maybe even blockages in male cats (females too, but less common).

Most dry foods contain a high amount of carbs and other fillers that cats don't really need. They are carnivores who do best when they eat meat, or mostly meat meals. A lot of lower ended dry foods contain little meat at all (some you really have to search to find it!).

A lot of cats tend to overeat when free fed dry. This leads to a lot of weight issues, as well as a "need" for food all the time... you can read lots of stories about cats who stress out and scratch, pee, and poop all over the house at the sight of an empty bowl.

Wet foods provides moisture. It hydrates them, and keeps the urine a good concentration to provide a healthy urinary tract. It usually keeps them fuller longer since they get more nutrition from the food and are not just "filled" with grains and such. It also tends to keep cats a healthier weight and has been helpful for many people in getting their cats to lose weight.

I personally feed an all wet diet now and have been very pleased. While I tend to scoop about 3-4 clumps of urine every day, I usually get a small amount of poo once a day. His coat is beautiful and soft, and he just seems all around healthy.

I think you'll do fine on the combo you're starting. Natural Balance is one of the high end dry foods, good choice! Basically, the best diet for your cat is going to be one that he does the best on. If he refuses to eat canned food (some do!) feeding him the best dry you can find is just as good... I mean, it can't be good for him if he doesn't eat it right?

You seem to have your kitty's best interest in mind, and with the attitude you have, seeking out great advice as you are... you really can't do any wrong

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page