Food Help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Food Help

Hi all!
I am new to the board and hope to get lots of help!
I have a tabby mix (about 7 years) and two Cornish Rex kittens (6 months).
My question is: what is a good dry food to feed them? What do you guys think about "indoor" formulas? I am considering ProPlan Indoor cat formula. Anyone feeding that? Any recommendations are needed!
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:04 AM

Hello and welcome! Would love to see pics of your kittys so much! Especially the Cornish Rex kittens.

As for the food, I have been recently giving my cats the new Purina Indoor Formula hard food and they seem to like it very much. I wanted to try it since it says it includes greens and such that cats crave and indoor cats have no access to. It also says it helps with hairballs and I do have to admit, I've had no hairball troubles since they have been on it. Not even with Simba, my Looong haired cat! LoL!

Maybe others in the forum will have more info. Welcome again and stick around, won't ya?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:28 AM
Premier Cat

http://www.healthypetnet.com/product...lname=10042285

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...wiz&animal=Cat

Here are a couple websites that have been mentioned on here before you might enjoy reading and researching. Ive switched toChicken Soup for Pet lovers Soul pet food.

If you do switch to another food be sure and mix it with the new food slowly.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your fur babies. My sister has cornish rex kittys. ages 13 and 15!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

My opinion about indoor formulas is that they're often much to low in both protein and fat.

Rex-cats (especially young ones) tend to be very energenic and probably need food with more protein and fat.

I breed Devon Rex myself and I know that most rex-breeders choose "outdoor/fit formulas" because it contains more fat and protein which gives the cats more energy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Cat Addict

Moved to Health & Nutrition.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Food Help

Thank you so much for your replies. Sol, what do you feed your Devon's? Our breeder originally had them on Science Diet's Nature's Best, but I didn't like two types of corn and rice being the first three ingredients. I switched them to ProPlan Chicken and Rice, but noticed the by-product in it. Don't like that. The rexes are definetly big eaters with lots of energy. Maybe I should wait on the indoor food until they're older and are done growing.
Do you like Royal Canin brand? That would probably be my next choice...but I'm just so clueless when it comes to food!!
And YES, I will post pics of the kitties soon. They are adorable!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Re: Food Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyGal
Thank you so much for your replies. Sol, what do you feed your Devon's? Our breeder originally had them on Science Diet's Nature's Best, but I didn't like two types of corn and rice being the first three ingredients. I switched them to ProPlan Chicken and Rice, but noticed the by-product in it. Don't like that. The rexes are definetly big eaters with lots of energy. Maybe I should wait on the indoor food until they're older and are done growing.
Do you like Royal Canin brand? That would probably be my next choice...but I'm just so clueless when it comes to food!!
And YES, I will post pics of the kitties soon. They are adorable!
My cats are on an all raw diet. I used to feed them Royal Canin but I don't really like that food. The four first ingredients are chicken, rice, corn and corn gluten meal, not really food for cats.

If I were to advice you any dry food it would be Innova or California Natural. Any of these dry foods would be good. Better if combined with wet food or raw food.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Hi Mits and Tess!
How do your cats like the Chicken Soup food? I've heard very good things about that product for both cat and dogs. Actually, I've been considering switching my pup to that food.
Did your cats like it right away or did it take them awhile to get use to it?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Premier Cat

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9107

Here is another thread I just ran across which is soft food vs hard.I havent read thru all of it yet but thought you may want to see it.

I had my guys on Purina Indooor dry food. Then did reading and decided to switch them to "Chicken Soup". Im still in the mixing stage of old and new foods together. My cats will eat anything which is good and bad!!! So there has been no problems and there hasnt been any cat box problems either. I didnt notice they eat less of this. Which might mean they are getting what they need nutrionally???

I switched cuz I thought this had better ingrediences. But had to go on the website for Chicken Soup to find local stores that did have it in stock cuz they do not carry it in PetSmart or grocery store.

Good luck on your search!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Sol,
What about Natural Balance? It's all natural, no preservatives or by-products. The only thing that concerns me is the possibility of high carbs, but I'm not sure because the package doesn't say how much carbs. It has potatoes and oatmeal in it.
What do you think for my rexes???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page