Unidentified illness - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Unidentified illness

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help, my cat has strange symptoms & I can't figure them out, I'm thinking of visiting the vet but first I'd like to rule out the possibility that it could be something simple to fix. So if anyone has an suggestions they would be greatfully appreciated!

Tiggy is a 5 year old (estimated) neutered female, she had her shots in March of this year & is usually healthy & lively.

First (last week) she seemed to have a cold: for 24 hours she did nothing but sleep & drink fluids (when offered), she felt hot to the touch & her eyes were partially obstructed by that grey inner-eyelid bit thet cats have, she was squinting & very lethargic. She couldn't purr or meow for 24 hours & swallowing seemed to be a problem (sore throat?), she stayed in the same place & just slept. Anyway, that cleared up after 24 hours & she was back to her old self again

Now, a couple of days later, shes not herself again. She has trouble jumping & isn't particularly agile, my mum said that the other day Tiggy jumped off of the fence, onto the grass as she often does, but when she landed she gagged a few times as if about to vomit, and looked distressed. Now shes just happy to walk around, her jumping (up or down) is very hit & miss. Also her eyes seem quite watery & a small amount of that grey eyelid-thing is visible when her eyes are open. She keeps licking her lips as though her mouth is dry or uncomfortable. She seems interested in food but only manages a mouthful of wet & then gives up. Shes had some dry food, but also not much. She just drinks water & her felix 'cat milk'. She purrs & meows & is reasonably normal but shes just not 'right'

I saw her pass urine & faeces this morning in the garden, so that seems ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Premier Cat

Boy this is a mystery. I think you should get her to the vet right away and not wait around. She doesnt sound like she is feeling normal. Better the catch things early than before they are serious
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 06:30 PM

I agree..

As many others have said, cats hide their pain well..so this could've been going on a lot longer then you first noticed the signs. You can normally call a vet and discuss it with them, and they would tell you what'd they'd do or just say bring em in and we'll see =P
Sometimes when cats get a cold, they can get mouth ulcers too, which makes them not want to eat or drink anything. I've had one cat have those before, and it was just a worse form of a viral infection. She cleared up after a steroid shot, antibiotics and another type of pill (my mommy's cat).

I hope that whatever it is, it's not anything life threatening.

Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll call the vet in the morning (its midnight here) & see what he says
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Well, Tiggy is back home now. The vet says shes been bitten by another cat whilst fighting & that has bruised a large area on her back right over her spine. The pain was the reason for her listless beheviour & lasck of appetite!

We're so relieved! The vet gave her one anti-inflammatory injection & 1 painkiller injection & shes really perked up, shes eating & washing as normal again We just have to keep her indoors for a while to stop her from jumping & over-exerting herself, then take her back for a check up with the vet on Sunday
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Well, a week after her follow-up appointment & Tiggy was 100% normal again. Then the next day she was lethargic & unable to move again & just kept sleeping. We took her back to the vet & he has booked her in for a general anaesthetic & X-ray on Thursday I hope its not serious, my mum hasnt insured Tiggy yet so any serious findings will be a DOUBLE blow for us. I knew we should have insured her straight away but my mum decided we could get away with it, sheesh, will she never learn!

Until the xray we have to keep her indoors & stop her from over-exerting herself, its only been 24hours yet already there have been 4 escape attempts: all foiled by me! lol
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 03:12 PM

How's Tiggy doing? I hope better. Your vet would know but since she was in a fight I wonder if she caught anything from her opponent..no that it would show this soon (she fought how recently? Have she been in fights before?) You know bites and scratches can transmit all kinds of bugs.
You could have her checked for FIV and others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page