Buying food online - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Buying food online

For those of you who buy food online, what are the best sites?
I feel like I'm not getting that great of deals in the stores in my area, but that may just be how it is.
I pay $1.50 for a big can of Innova or $16 for a case of 12 cans. This is what they primarily eat.
Wellness, I can only find in the small cans and they are 99 cents each. Not very economical.
Basically everything I buy except for Innova, is in small cans and they are all around $1 each. I would like to find something cheaper.
And the next question...does the shipping make the price savings not worth it?
I may try them on Felidae wet again...but they didn't like it before. Too bad, because a big can was only $1.25.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 10:44 PM

I looked at online cat food before, but because i live in canada there's the exchange rate AND the shipping charges, which doesn't make it worthwhile at all. I could buy it a lot cheaper here. BUT it all depends on where you live.

http://store.yahoo.com/natureofthepet/index.html ( think that link should work) they have free shipping on the first item and there's another free shipping deal.

What i did to figure out cost i just put the item in my cart and did all the steps up to where you fill in the credit card info and it told me the prices, then i compared it to what it costs here.

For a lot of people i'm sure it would be less money then buying at the pet store

Best of Wishes

[Edit] Here's another link http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 12:20 AM

Raw food

I primarily only buy raw food online and that is at SitStay.com They carry a canned all meat and vegetable canned food for dog and cats. Some of my cats are not crazy about it. The dogs absolutely love it though. I found them the cheapest and the best quality on the raw food diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 01:22 AM
Cool Cat

I found that online retailers for food are generally more expensive than our local stores. But one store will differ from the other by price depending on location and brand name. The cheapest food I've found is at our local PetSmart, for about $.38 cents a can for 3oz of fancy feast. This is strictly on sale, but still good. My Royal Canin is about $17 per 7 pounds, i can't find it any cheaper. by comparison, www.petfooddirect.com has fancy feast at $13/24 cans or $0.54 cents a can, which is VERY expensive PLUS, shipping of course. Their Royal Canin is the same price as our local store, but again, you need to add shipping.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 02:09 AM
Tom Cat

I think it's mostly hit or miss with ordering online. There are often sales or free shipping deals but normally I find the cost of the shipping makes it not worth it. Have you checked to see if there are any feed stores in your area? I get pretty decent prices at them as opposed to pet stores and they have a much wider selection.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Another thing to think about with online shipping prices is where you live compared to where its being shipped from.

I use www.petfooddirect.com to buy Wellness, Felidae, and Evolve because I either can't find it around me, or its expensive (like you said, a small can of Wellness was I think .89 here). I only buy from petfooddirect.com when they're doing a 20% sale (or you can use the code PFD3618C) and for me the savings are more than the cost of shipping, so I'm still saving a bit of money. However, I think it ships from the east coast somewhere, so the shipping price may be more for you.

Just find a few sites and find what you want, then see how much it is with shipping. Sometimes, I'll just put a case of something in at a time and see how much it is with shipping and use that as a total cost to see if I'm paying more or less per can.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 07:48 PM

good deals to be had online but the shipping rates,i find i just as well buy local.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 02:44 AM

Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Raiynee22

http://store.yahoo.com/natureofthepet/index.html ( think that link should work) they have free shipping on the first item and there's another free shipping deal.

Free shipping on first order and then they have free shipping on orders over $35 through the end of the year. Just have to use the codes listed at the top of the web page. The food here is cheaper than my local pet stores but now I'll just be buying toys because I've gone to making my own raw.

Edit: Oops, looks like the owner changed the free shipping on orders over $35 to end Sept. 30, she probably has a new special beginning Oct. 1.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 01:47 PM

Ive found so far that online stores on average are around the same price as regular stores ( in the northeast anyway) and many times the shipping cost pushes it higher. I havent found any incredible bargins online yet.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
Another thing to think about with online shipping prices is where you live compared to where its being shipped from.

I use www.petfooddirect.com to buy Wellness, Felidae, and Evolve because I either can't find it around me, or its expensive (like you said, a small can of Wellness was I think .89 here). I only buy from petfooddirect.com when they're doing a 20% sale (or you can use the code PFD3618C) and for me the savings are more than the cost of shipping, so I'm still saving a bit of money. However, I think it ships from the east coast somewhere, so the shipping price may be more for you.

Just find a few sites and find what you want, then see how much it is with shipping. Sometimes, I'll just put a case of something in at a time and see how much it is with shipping and use that as a total cost to see if I'm paying more or less per can.
Much more expensive online for Wellness for me. I pay $.62 for 3 oz can and $1.07 for 5.5 oz can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page