Dental Cleaning and insurance. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Dental Cleaning and insurance.

Hi, both my cats have bad breath and red gums near the teeth line. My vet is treating them with antibiotics and steroids every month. The problem is once the effect goes away the gums get red again and their mouth smell. He said I should continue the treatment but it is $190 every month and it's becoming expensive. My question is should i get pet insurance? I've been reading around and I don't think they cover dental problems. Can anyone tell me if pet insurance would cover for this kind of problem? I'm in New York.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned

Depends on the insurance. Some won't cover routine wellness care. (Your caption mentions dental cleaning. That's considered routine wellness care.) But if the dental procedure is to treat an overall health problem that it's causing, then most will. But you should know that most insurance plans won't cover a pre-existing condition for one year.

I question the appropriateness of your vet's treatment.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Why is it wrong? He said my cats are too young to remove their teeth. They aren't even a year old yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Banned

The treatment with steroids and antibiotics won't solve the underlying problem. The teeth need a thorough cleaning. Periodontal disease results from build-up of plaque on the teeth that gets under the gums and causes bacterial growth under there resulting in inflammation and bad breath. The bacteria can get in the bloodstream, resulting in worse health problems. Perhaps your vet isn't comfortable with doing dental work on cats, and if that's the case, you'd best find one who is. Just ask if this is something they routinely do and find out what's involved with it. Your cat doesn't need teeth removed yet, but if it's left untreated, eventually it will.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:34 PM

massiel78, what you describe is a highly abnormal condition for young cats.

Here is some information that hopefully will be helpful to you:

http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/arti ... sp?id=5683

http://www.vetinfo.com/cstomatitis.html

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... titis.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/artic ... d=&aid=998
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your advise and links. I read them and in fact it says that one of the treatment is steroids + antibiotics. Perhaps I should continue with the treatment. It's just so expensive The vet told me that it is possible that they have a virus that caused this problem.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:56 PM

One of the articles says:

Don't fall into the trap of treating feline stomatitis patients with corticosteroids and antibiotics alone. It does not work. It will hide the problem, and the patient will suffer.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 10:07 PM

Let me add, if you spend a little more time reading all the info you'll find a list of things that can be involved here. Make a list for yourself and then follow up on the information.

As a starting point you should get both cats retested immediately for FeLV/FIV and then depending on the results consider getting additional diagnostic work done.

With the treatment your vet is providing I think it would a very good idea to find another vet. You should also take the kitties to a veterinary dentist.
Veterinary dentists:
http://www.avdc.org/dipl-list-table.htm
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by massiel78
It's just so expensive The vet told me that it is possible that they have a virus that caused this problem.
Well, I still just don't understand your vet. If there's a virus involved, antibiotics are useless. If the problem is dental in origin, then proper dental treatment is a one-time treatment, for in about the same ball-park (if only cleaning is needed) as you're paying monthly for drug treatment. I didn't look at Meowmie's links, so maybe there's more going on here than I got from your first post, but none of what I see here makes any sense to me yet.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 10:49 PM

Timskitties, take a minute to look at the links. You'll see how right you were when in an earlier post you wrote:
"I question the appropriateness of your vet's treatment."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page