who uses C.E.T products? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
who uses C.E.T products?

ok, I really should know more about this, working at a vet's office and all but I figured I'd get the REAL inside info here, rather than at work

Addison's mouth stinks. His teeth aren't bad or anything and the vet has always said they look fine (never mentioned the smell as it has gotten bad lately) but anyway. I got some CET chews a while ago, before I worked there and at first he wouldn't go near them but once he figured them out he loved them!

Well the bag ran out and I stopped using them. Then I realized "Hey, I WORK here, I get major discounts!" so I grabbed a new bag and a sample of toothpaste... he was literally chewing my fingers trying to get to the treat! I'm considering trying to brush his teeth down the line, but for now i figure the dental chew smeared with the toothpaste should do a pretty decent job right?

I've considered the rinse for about 2 seconds, and then I saw it in action... basically it was a squirt and duck as it got spit out all over the cat's cage the gel seems more realistic, but I don't think we carry it so I'm not sure if its something I want to try.

Anyone have experience with the stuff other than chews? Good, bad, eh??

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Banned

I use the CET toothpaste and toothbrushes, and I think they're fine products. I wish I could buy them locally, but I have to order them online.

I think the chew with toothpaste would be about as effective as a breadstick with peanut butter, though.

Sorry for the humor; feel free to get me back some time
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
well my whole thoery behind the chew with toothpaste on it is that they're both enzymatic, so the act of brushing itself necessarily what's doing all the work, but the enzymes in the toothpaste. I mean, I'm sure brushing is best, but Addison's weird about me messing with his mouth so I figure doing it this way is less stressful, and still better than just chews alone.

Maybe one day I can work up to brushing.

On a side note - my dog isn't as impressed with the toothpaste, even though she eventually tasted it off my finger, but she didn't mind at all when I used my finger to kind of brush her teeth... so she's not a lost cause like I thought!

edit to add:

Oh! this may seem like a strange question, but do you think it would be more beneficial to wait until right after each meal to do the dental routine? Like if I give him half a chew after breakfast and half a chew after dinner, that way the last thing that goes in his mouth/on his teeth is toothpaste? I mean, if its best for us to brush after meals, why not cats?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 11:24 PM

I've used the toothpaste for the dogs. They seem to like it, but then one eats her own poo so I'm not sure what that says
I haven't tried it for the cats at all, no way the cats will allow me to brush their teeth. I've tried different brands of toothpaste trying just to get them to lick it, they look at me like I'm insane. I wish I had started them younger!
If you are doing the dental routine daily, or even twice a day, my hats off to you! I thought I was doing good brushing the dogs teeth twice a week....Although they do have chew toys to help with that, unlike the cats.

Jennifer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Banned

I don't really think much of the chews. Because the whole principal behind the chews is that the cat actually chews them enough that all teeth have contact with the chew and get exposed to the plaque-fighting enzyme. My boy cats will scarf down a whole chew in about three bites, and Mellie four or five. I don't see how enough of the teeth get enough contact with the chew for long enough to do any good. And since they cost about $10 for 30 chews.....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Cool Cat

I give Assumpta her dental chew after her bedtime snack, as she does tend to be a bit...messy with her food and usually has it all over her tongue and teeth, so I always figured that after a meal would be a better idea.

I wouldn't cut them in half. Their size is an advantage, because it takes more effort to chew them...I once used the smaller petromalt chews, and they were gone in one crunch and a swallow. The CET chews usually get several good crunches (no small feat in a cat who refuses to chew anything).

Assumpta is also unbrushable, as well as being a biter (she hates having her mouth touched, and I'd rather save the battles for when she needs medication). Oh, and she also gets very aggressive about her chews. After her snack, she comes and paws at us, and my husband says:

"Do you need a dental shoe?" (she likes SH sounds )
MEOW!
"Show me where the dental shoes are!"
<cat runs toward pantry cupboard, meowing loudly, long meows punctuated by her footsteps, continually looking back over her shoulder to make sure we're following>
MEOW-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow!
Husband offers her dental chew, and she rips it out of his hand, often taking a bit of finger in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page