Healthiest Cat Food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Healthiest Cat Food?

Hi,

I just joined this forum because I just adopted a two year old cat from my local humane society & will be picking her up in a few days.

I know that it is not healthy to feed wet cat food to your cat, that it
should be a dry cat food diet but what hard cat food brand name is
the healthiest & most balanced for an adults cats needs?

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

-Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
This is a HUGE debate and will sure bring out a lot of in people. Personally, every cat is different. Every person's financial situation is different. Each region in the U.S. has its own speciality food. There is always the issue of availability, transport (especially with foods like Royal Canin, which is made in France and Alma Nature, which is made in Italy), and taxes/customs.

There are also issues with the pet stores since many people only go to certain stores they feel comfortable shopping in (the stores that do not support puppy/kitty mills and promote adoption instead). There is also the issue with packaging because a lot of people don't feel comfortable with pop-top lids. There is the issue of holistic/ all-meat/ raw-diet cat foods. There is the issue of dry vs wet which I am pretty sure is a debate in iteself. There is the issue of personal principles as a lot people do not support Iams/ Hills Science diet for their animal testing.

The list goes on and on and on. I would say just feed whatever you feel like feeding. Make sure your cat gets plenty of taurine, though. The taurine content of the food is usually a good indication of the quality of the cat food.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
I would say just feed whatever you feel like feeding.
Well, I don't know about that I think this person was genuinely looking for suggestions...

I feed an all canned diet, and use a variety of "high quality" brands:

Wellness
Felidae
Nutro
Innova
California Natural
Wysong

I know that the dry analysis of foods can differ from the wet analysis, so I can't really offer any suggestions as to a good dry food. I've heard that Wellness and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul are both quality foods. Innova EVO is another really high quality dry food.

As to the myth that wet food is bad, here's a link you may want to check out: Why Canned is Better than an All Dry Diet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:11 AM
Banned

Your list of foods were pretty good, but you left out Petguard. Petguard has seaweed in it which may appeal to an Asian palette if the cat craves some kinds of exotic food

Petguard also makes an AWESOME herbal flea collar for cats.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
Your list of foods were pretty good, but you left out Petguard. Petguard has seaweed in it which may appeal to an Asian palette if the cat craves some kinds of exotic food
Really? Well I'll keep that in mind
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Cool Cat

I'm also an all-canned feeder; I'm currently in the process of putting together a new feeding plan for my cat, so I can't really say for certain what brands I'll be using, but have in the past used Wellness and Innova canned fairly regularly, and have tried several of the other brands spacemonkey mentioned.

A lot of people now feel that at least 50% of a cat's diet should be in the form of wet food (either canned or homemade), just so the cat stays properly hydrated and the load on the kidneys is eased somewhat. But it's a personal choice, based on ow you feel your cat does on any given food; my cat doesn't do well on most commercial dry foods, and I have only used dry as snacks, treats, and the occasional meal (I've used Wellness dry and Innova Evo most recently, and in the past have fed Hills Science Diet, Hill's prescription diet, and a few others). You'll need to be your own best judge of your cat's health and tolerance for certan types of food (corn and wheat are a problem for my cat, so I avoid them, and I avoid fish for the most part, as well). I probably won't use dry food at all from now on.

My best rule of thumb is "feed the absolute best food you can afford, that your cat will reliably eat." There are many threads here about finding good-quality canned and dry foods, so a search will help you track that information down. It can all get pretty confusing, so the best bet is to decide what matters to you (be it natural ingredients, whole foods, vet approval, or whatever) and look for a food that fits your requirements...it's easier than trying to memorize a list of "good" foods and remember why they're "good."
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 10:55 AM

Do not believe people who tell you that canned food is bad for cats. The opposite is true. I've had sales people at Pet People pet supply store try to tell me that dry food is better than canned and that I should just feed dry food all the time and I told them that I have researched articles that explain why canned food is better than dry food and I don't agree. Cats are not designed to eat a large quantity of grain, corn and bread products. I feed both dry and canned. I think dry food is fine to feed as part of a cat's diet, it's economical, you can leave it out when you need to, but not exclusively and when selecting a dry food choose one with the least amount of grain or bread products. California Natural uses only brown rice as a grain. I also think that Solid Gold Katz N Flocken is a good brand and Natural Balance is good too but very high in calories. I'm feeding the IVD Rabbit and Pea diet and I love the fact that it's grain free, flour free, bread free. It's not carb-free but no dry food is perfect. I've decided to still feed Rosie the canned Wellness because she likes it so much. The dry Wellness is also a good brand if you want to go with that.

Rethink the dry food only diet. IMHO your cat will have a much tastier diet to enjoy if canned food is included as part of the feline diet. It's also much healthier.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudewife
..it's easier than trying to memorize a list of "good" foods and remember why they're "good."
It WOULD BE NICE if people start giving other people the reasons why paticular foods are good without just saying that the grocery brands are bad. It is like John Kerry saying that we should have voted for him because Bush was bad (I am sorry, I just happened to be a Republican since I live in Texas)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned

You can also see my thread and poll here w/ the same subject name:
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17319
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 04:35 PM

I feed a mixed dry/wet diet. Dry during the day, wet meal in the evenings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page