Egg whites, good or not? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Egg whites, good or not?

Now, I Used to give my past kittys Egg whites on occasion as a treat-does any else do this and does it have any health effects,good or bad?I read about this a long time ago in some book and They loved it! thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 04:21 PM

raw egg white contains a substance called avidin that will bind to biotin (an essential B vitamin) and make it unavailable to the body. luckily, the yolk of the egg is high enough in biotin to make up for this. so if the egg is fed as a whole, then it should be fine, but feeing only the white can cause problems. this only applies to raw egg as far as i know, i believe that when eggs are cooked the avidin is deactivated.

i feed my kitties eggs on occasion and they love them. and eggs are the most digestable protien! when i give my cats (and my dogs) eggs i include the shell, dried and ground up fine.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 04:22 PM

My cats & dogs occasionally get whole raw egg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Oh gosh, I had a brain fart It was the yolk I gave them,not the whites.Sorry about that!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 03:13 AM

You should have seen my dogs the first time I gave them a 'breakable ball'

My poochies get the whole thing, whole. They love it. One of them will carry it round gently in his mouth for awhile before breaking into it. (WARNING - ONLY SUITABLE FOR OUTSIDE USE!!!)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Why just egg yorks??? Is there anything wrong with egg whites???
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 05:47 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
Why just egg yorks??? Is there anything wrong with egg whites???
Like Avocado wrote: raw egg white contains an enzyme called avidin that binds to biotin so it's not longer available to the cat. Someone once told me that the avidin only binds to the biotin in the egg yolk so if you feed the cat raw egg white and the yolk it makes plus minus zero, but I don't know if that's true.

However, most nutrients are in the yolk so the egg white is quite useless anyway.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Cool Cat

How interesting! I'm always looking for new ways to spoil my cats. Is there not a fear of salmonella? I remember my mom always used to freak out about getting that from raw eggs.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_pen
My cats & dogs occasionally get whole raw egg.
What do you do Em do you mix it up and give them in a bowl or do you add it to there food

I am going to try it with my cats and dogs as a treat
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 01:20 PM

With my dogs, I literally just give them a whole egg, shell and all in the garden The cats, I stick it in a bowl and let them tuck in, usually without the shell as they tend to leave it.

Dogs & cats are at far less risk to salmonella than us on the whole. And here's the shocker - if your cat was susceptible, he/she could just as well get ill from their normal pet food. I've only ever seen ONE dog (in 5 years) with salmonella poisoning, and she likely got it from a dry dog food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page