Help! Blood on my cat's lip/nose area.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Help! Blood on my cat's lip/nose area....

Hi all....I'm new here and looking for some help...

Yesterday I noticed what looked like a cut on my cat's (Milo) nose. He's 2 years old. At first I thought he had a bloody nose and thought the blood was drying up just under his nose, but there's actually some open flesh. He has also been very lethargic and not eating nearly as much as he used to. I took him to the vet today who believes that he probably got into a fight with my other cat. Milo also had a high fever. The vet believes that perhaps there is some infection which is what is causing the high fever and infection. But I'm not convinced because I noticed that he had been lethargic before I saw anything on his nose. Plus the cut seems too defined. It looks like a slice from between his nostrils down to the middle of his lips. The vet prescribed some antibiotics and said that if it doesn't look like its getting any better by Monday, I should bring him back. He thinks another possibility is some type of flesh problem that is treated by steroids (although it always comes back because its hard to determine what causes it).

A few days before this occurred, my boyfriend had his new kitten here in my home and the kitty had URI and we were taking it to the vet the next morning. I know now that my cats can develop URI since its very contagious among cats. And although Milo is not showing typical signs of URI, I feel somehow that this is related to the kitten being here. I'm also very concerned because my other cat is beginning to lick her lip and nose area a lot and I believe he may be developing the same problem!

Has anyone experienced something like this with their cats???? Any advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Betsy, I wish I could help. However, I have never had this problem with my cats. I would only be speculationg. Keep in close touch with the vet, and please keep us informed. I wish you the best.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jeanie,

I'm really worried because he's barely eating. He takes like 1 or 2 bites and then he doesn't want to eat anymore. I don't understand why if it is just a bite mark would it affect his appetite??

Today it looked it was turning into a scab so I felt somewhat relieved because to me that implies that is just a cut and not that other flesh problem the vet mentioned. But his appetite is not getting better

I'll keep you posted.

betsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Banned

Maybe it's painful to eat. Poor kitty!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

The "cut" on Milo's nose seems to be doing better (it certainly hasn't gotten any worse), and he's a little more active now but still not 100% the way he used to be. He'll only eat tuna fish for some reason though. And I have to feed it to him on my hand....He won't eat it out of the bowl. He's also drinking more water than he used to.

Now my other cat, Felix, is exhibiting similar behaviors. He's not eating the way he used to and he's being very lethargic. While he does't have that "cut" on his nose, I've noticed that he licks that area often.

I don't understand these symptoms. And I don't have a lot of money to keep taking them to the vet
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Banned

Still puzzling. I'm wondering if the cat had a URI with some drainage from the nose causing him to lick that area often. There's a natural cleft running from between the nostrils to the middle of the upper lip. Exactly where you describe. Maybe that area was irritated by the frequent licking. I don't know; I'm just taking a wild stab.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Hmm...that actually would make sense. Felix's nose is dry right now...and maybe he is licking it for moisture. The vet gave me antibiotics in pill form which I've been giving to Milo. I have 7 pills left and I'm wondering if I should start giving Felix the pill too. What do you think?

Also, is it ok to give the cats tuna fish?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Tuna fish is not the best thing for them, but this is only temporary, right? I certainly hope this condition clears up soon. You are to be congratulated for being able to give your cat a pill! I don't know if I could!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy
I have 7 pills left and I'm wondering if I should start giving Felix the pill too.
No, please don't do this. It wouldn't do any good and might do harm. Please consult your vet if you think Felix needs medication.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I won't give Felix any of Milo's antibiotics. I'm glad I asked. Thanks.

I just noticed that Felix was drooling while he was sleeping - something he's never done before. They both have sneezed a couple of times but I don't notice any congestion.....Is drooling a symptom of anything????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page