microwaved meals? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

microwaved meals?

Is it safe to microwave canned cat food?

Here's the details behind my question:
I buy the larger cans of food, since they're cheaper (by the ounce, anyway), and I don't have to have as many cluttering up my cupboard. So I put one can in a tupperware dish, and serve a few ounces at a time - since my cat only eats a few ounces at a time anyway. This way, I can refridgerate the rest, without it going bad.
The problem is, that my cat doesn't like eating cold stuff. Rather than let it sit out for 10 minutes first, I wonder if I could just nuke it for 5-10 seconds and serve right away.

~~~
I may be crazy, but it's kept me from goin' insane...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:51 PM

If i have cat food whatts been in the fridge i normally add warm water to heat it up and they are getting extra water as well
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Banned

I do what you do. Only mix it up after microwaving and test with your finger. Microwaving often leaves hot spots in the food, which could scald a cat. After some trial and error you get to know exactly how long to nuke for the size serving you're warming up.

It's quite normal for a cat not to like cold food. Warm food has a stronger odor and taste. Also prey is warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 02:06 AM
Cat Addict

Somehow my cats can tell its been reheated/nuked -- they don't like it! I haven't tried reheating it with warm water though -- that's a good suggestion.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
I do what you do. Only mix it up after microwaving and test with your finger. Microwaving often leaves hot spots in the food, which could scald a cat. After some trial and error you get to know exactly how long to nuke for the size serving you're warming up.

It's quite normal for a cat not to like cold food. Warm food has a stronger odor and taste. Also prey is warm.
Lots of true points, Tim. I hadn't thought about the prey thing before! LOL
But yeah, I did plan on stirring it up after heating, so it would get evenly warmed. Also, I heard that you're supposed to let microwaved foods sit in the microwave for an extra minute (without power), because the heat usually seeps in from all the "hot spots" and evens it out a little that way, too.

Thankies!

~~~
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:36 PM

That has become very routine for me. I only feed each cat a quarter of a large can at a time, but will feed that much twice in a day so they get half a can each. I microwave it for 7 seconds, test it with my finger so I know how cold it is and where the hot spots are, then I stir it, test it with my finger again. When it feels just right I serve it. I never had a problem with my cats eating it. When there is only enough in the can to feed one meal to each cat and then throw the food away, I take the food out of the fridge with the lid on and let it sit to room temperature, that takes about 30-45 mins. My cats haven't rejected that either.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:38 PM

correction: I mean throw the empty can away.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Cool Cat

My cats like their wet food nuked too. They get about 1/6th of a can of Fancy Feast that goes in the microwave for ten seconds. They only like their food if it's hand-mushed in a thin layer on the saucer, so that way I can also tell if there are any hot spots.

I tried the water thing, but Jasmine wasn't too fond of the idea.

That's interesting about the heat seeping thing, vivid-dawn... I'm going to try that next time!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

yay!

It worked! YAY!
Being female, I read the instruction manual (the whole thing!) for my microwave, and that's where I learned to let food sit for about a minute so all the "energy" can flow all around and not make hot/cold spots.

But anyhoo... Paizly seems to like it much better now. I'm too impatiant to let it sit in warm water, but that'd be good to try on a Saturday I suppose.

~~~
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
My cats are weird. Anything that is nuked they will NOT eat it, yet they regularly demand their foods be FROZEN!!!

Cats will be cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page