Bleeech! A real eye-opener on commercial pet food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Bleeech! A real eye-opener on commercial pet food

Here are a few articles on pet food, telling what's in it and what isn't. For most of them, the stuff that's in it you would wish wasn't, and what you think is in it, isn't.

Did you know that the pet food industry can use road kill and euthanized pets for food? Did you know that the fats used in pet foods (unfit for human consumption) is often left outdoors for weeks before it's added to pet food?

Maybe reading these on a full stomach isn't a wise idea, but it's a real eye-opener.

http://www.belfield.com/article3.html
http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm
http://www.homevet.com/petcare/foodbook.html

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I found out the same things around January. I was so shocked. I started feeding my cats Innova, Wellness, Petguard, Wysong, and Nutro dry and wet foods.

After several months I noticed that my cats did not get better. In fact, they looked ever sicker than before. Both of them got lethargic and they refused to eat. I switched them back to what they were eating (Fancy Feast) and they got much better.

There are foods that are good for cats and there are foods that my masters demand. My masters demand to have icky byproducts frozen.

This is the strangest thing. All the sudden my five masters started demanding their canned cat food to be frozen!!! They want their meat popsicles!!!

Any of you guys have cats who like frozen foods ???

I had some chunky style food. My cats hated chunky style so I froze the cans thinking it would make it a lot mushier.

Anyhow, once the cats had a taste of frozen foood they would not stop!!! Now they want their food be frozen all the time !!!

After I got unemployed. I had some serious thinking. I realized that the $1.20 I usually pay for the 5.5 ounces of canned food usually go to waste because my cats will not eat it. I feel better knowing that I did all I could, trying to feed them the best food. My masters had made their choice. They want their yummy junk food (and I want my McDonalds)

I feel that there are a lot of people like me. For me, there seem to be a neverending cycle: Shock--> all canned food diet--> holistic diet --> normal feeding routine.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

The problem with cats is that they are such creatures of habit. Ever try changing a cat's mind? Sheesh! It would be easier to pick up the Golden Gate Bridge and move it!

I was feeding my dog raw, and she did beautifully. Then I became unemployed and poor, and had to resort to Purina One. But I would offer the cats bits of meat, and half of them said "Eeeuuuwww! What's that? It looks icky! Give me my cat food!"

These were the older cats, who went to the Rainbow Bridge last year, at ages of 18 and 20.

The 3 I have now, I am giving bits of meat to, as I would like to put them on a better, more natural diet when I am financially able. I am thinking that if I keep them thinking that chicken and beef are treats, they will go to a natural diet more easily. Maybe.

But 9lb cats with a higher lead level than is safe for a toddler??? Yuck!

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page