My kitty is not moving. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

My kitty is not moving.

Hi,
Im new here. My 10month old cat is usally active but for the last few days is not moving. I have taken him to the vet, she did all kinds of urinary tests but couldnt find anything wrong with him. she also said he's white blood cell count is normal. he is looking lethargic and always lying down with his head flat on the floor. if I try to carry him to his litter tray he meows with pain. He is eating okay and drinking too. also had two bowel movements -thanks God!!...
What is wrong with my milli. can anyone give suggestions? He is now on antibiotics for we dont know what.

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Premier Cat

Moved to health&nutrition
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 03:44 PM

The lethargic behavior you describe can be caused by many, many health problems, anything from cardiomyopathy to an infectious disease and dozens of conditions in between.
Please take your kitten to a different vet without delay. Based on your post, the way your vet is handling this situation is unacceptable.

I have a question however. Why was your vet looking for a urinary problem? Please explain.

"He is now on antibiotics for we don't know what." Absolutely, totally unacceptable.

Also, in sensitive animals antibiotics will only make lethargy worse. Much worse.

My advice to you: find an ER vet now and have your kitten seen without delay.

If no complete bloodwork was done and no X-rays were taken, these are the tests you have to start with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Hi thanks for your reply,
what was done at the vet was a urine annalysis, injection for torbugesic inj, urinary catherter. general aneasthesia, subcutaneous fluids and hospitalisation.
I really dont know why the doctor sugested he had a urine problem. I thought she was fammilliar with his symptoms.

He is now having bowel movements and urinating okay. but the lethargy is there.
He was given amoxyllin15mls twice a day.

thanks again for any suggestions.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Did the vet say she had any reason to think he was blocked?

We've had a lot of male cats come in for the symptoms you were describing and when the vets were doing a physical, the bladders were usually full and either took a lot of force or could not be expressed manually (by squeezing the bladder from the outside).

If so, its possible he was blocked. If left untreated, it can be deadly. I would assume your vet would have explained this to you, especially if they anesthetized him and placed a catheter.

I think you should at least call them and ask them to explain what was done and why. If he was blocked, chances are he's still feeling pretty bad and should be back to normal in a few days. You really need to talk to your vet though.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:46 PM

Nira, for heaven's sake...

Quote:
what was done at the vet was a urine annalysis, injection for torbugesic inj, urinary catherter. general aneasthesia, subcutaneous fluids and hospitalisation.
I really dont know why the doctor sugested he had a urine problem. I thought she was fammilliar with his symptoms.

He is now having bowel movements and urinating okay. but the lethargy is there.
He was given amoxyllin15mls twice a day.
WHY didn't you post this right away, instead of saying

Quote:
He is now on antibiotics for we don't know what.
With all those procedures AND an injection of torbugesic, anything is possible. YOU NEED TO CONTACT A VET NOW.
You don't say when all this was done, when your kitten got the torbugesic.
But the lethargy can even have something to do with that.
Please get off the computer and CONTACT A VET WITHOUT DELAY.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

I stated millie was on antibiotics and meant we didnt know for what infection. the vet didnt know what was wrong with the cat either. Im not very good with vet skills, so I was trusting the vet to take care of my beloved pet. What do you think I should ask the vet to do?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
Did the vet say she had any reason to think he was blocked?
If he was blocked, chances are he's still feeling pretty bad and should be back to normal in a few days. You really need to talk to your vet though.

There was no vet around on Sunday. so I have to wait for tomorrow. Monday. he is using his litter tray eating and drinking, Im also giving him a drop twice a day of the amoxillyin antibiotic. and he is much better than a few days back.
However, his progress is very slow. he does move around only to go to the litter tray but quickly sits down.

thanks.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 07:32 AM

Nira, first and foremost, have a long talk with your vet, let your vet explain to you in detail what's wrong with your kitten, what exactly was your kitten treated for.

Then make the necessary dietary changes immediately to prevent a recurrence.

Do NOT feed dry food. Not even prescription dry food.

Here is some excellent and very important information:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=017

And please get this book for additional detailed information and advice:

Shawn Messonnier DVM: Natural Health Bible for Dogs and Cats
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

[quote="Meowmie"]Nira, first and foremost, have a long talk with your vet, let your vet explain to you in detail what's wrong with your kitten, what exactly was your kitten treated for.

Milly was treated for urine problems. somehow I dont see him having that problem. He seems to have pain in his abdominal area. Since he has been sick he tends to sleep with all fours up and what is unusual is that he lets us rub his tummy.

[Then make the necessary dietary changes immediately to prevent a recurrence].

He only eats 'meow' and I had him on purina "one". but have stopped giving him the dry food. What is the best cat food do you suggest?

[Here is some excellent and very important information:]

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page