Is it safe to neuter my 8 month kitty? He has Leukemia! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Is it safe to neuter my 8 month kitty? He has Leukemia!

Hello!

I just wanted to know if there are any extra precautions I should take because I'm getting my cat neutered tomorrow and he has Leukemia.

Thank you all!

P.S. I rescued this kitty (Oscar) from the sreeet when he was one month old. He is such a sweet kitty!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Banned

Sorry, I don't really know. But the vet will want to know, of course. Staying tuned for any other responses. And keep us posted.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I would wait until I am pretty sure Oscar is healthy, since a lot of cats don't wake up from surgery.

Otherwise, I really don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Banned

Don't worry about your cat not waking up from surgery.

I think the main thing is the present status of the disease: currently ill with symptoms, recovered and in remission, or positive test but healthy (latent or carrier). I don't think surgery can be done on an ill cat. I don't know about the situation if he's presently symptom free but on medication. This is surely something for the veterinary surgeon to decide, which is why I hope he/she is aware of it. Keep us posted. Thanks....
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 10:22 PM

When we had ours neutered the vet gave us tons of leaflets and stuff on the what ifs... just ask your vet if there is anything else you need to know.

A friend of mine had her cat with leukemia spayed and she was fine... she actually seemed healthier after he op! So don't worry about her not waking up after the op, if it was that much of a danger, the vet wouldn't do surgery.

Just make sure the vet knows about the leukemia and if the cat has been ill recently (in case it isn't your normal vet who performs the surgery)... they are well used to us worrysome parents!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
I would wait until I am pretty sure Oscar is healthy, since a lot of cats don't wake up from surgery.
A lot of cat's don't wake up from surgery?

My cat had FELV and FIV and he was neutered. I took him into the vet a few times to have blood drawn and make sure he was as well as he could be and then we had he him nuetered. It does cause stress on their bodies, but my vet thought that him not being neutered may cause more stress in the long run.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:36 PM

Just make sure your vet surgery knows he has FeLV. Other than that, this surgery is as routine for a positive cat as it is a normal healthy cat. I am assuming even though he has Leukaemia, he is normal at the moment? Most neuters are accompanied by an antibiotic injection, so that will guard against any infections. We have done plenty of surgery & dental work on cats with FIV and/or FeLV, and they've been fine.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
What is his conditon??? Does he currently test positive for the antibody of feline leukemia virus or is he ACTUALLY sick from feline leukemia???

Sorry about the not waking up from surgery comment. I thought the kitten was seriously ill.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 05:39 PM

Not all cats who have Leukaemia are ill, Shengmei. It can incubate in some cats for years before they show signs of ill health.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 06:21 PM

I also doubt that a vet would agree to the surgery if the cat was very ill either.

Oscar&Mildred, how did everything go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page