Sammy is diabetic - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Sammy is diabetic

....and he possibly has pancreatitis. He's going in for the bloodwork tomorrow, which will hopefully nail down the pancreatitis, and to start on insulin injections. Today I have to meet with the vet to discuss all of it.

Keep my kitty in your prayers, please.

I'd like to thank the person (timskitties, maybe?) who initially commented that "vomiting regularly is not normal"....that gave me the push to get him looked at, and led to this discovery. Thank you, I just hope this isn't too hard on him (and me!), and that he gets regulated and lives many more happy years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:06 PM

goodluck for tommorrow
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Cool Cat

Hey, best wishes to Sammy (and you)! Diabetes can be managed, give www.felinediabetes.com a try for some info and reading on the subject. I suspect you'll be in a lot better shape with the pancreatitis once the diabetes is under control. Some people say that a lot of diabetic cats have chronic pancreatitis, it's just never diagnosed because it's so hard to find (even with the best blood tests) and the symptoms are so vague and non-specific. Plus, there's not a whole lot you can do, save some possible changes in diet and keeping an eye out for complications and problems (and making sure there are no parasites or bacteria causing the inflammation)...but it's not like there's a pill that fixes it. Assumpta seems to be doing okay with her transition to a "light" canned food (more moderate fat level), and if she does well, I'll start alternating in other foods, as well...everything I've read indicates that a low-fat diet is appropriate in dogs, but doesn't seem to do a lot of good in cats...but I figured that I'd at least give her an easy, prolonged transition back to her normal diet. And if I run into problems with her regular food, I can fall back on the light food. She's keeping her food down and seems to be more of her normal self these days (especially when she sits on my throat and whacks me in the nose at 5AM to let me know it's time for breakfast )

Good luck...I'm hoping that managing the diabetes will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page