hydration? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

hydration?

my kitten doesnt' drink much from the fountain and doesn't eat wet food but he likes the sauce from nutro chicken pouch, can he just drink that for hydration plus whatever water he drinks? i use two pouches just for a sauce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
You can always put ice cubes in the water fountain. Cats love cold water.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

it's worth a try, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 06:30 AM

Slick, the truth of the matter is - and these days many veterinarians will tell you this - that cats should not be eating any dry food in significant quantity. The reason for this is that evolutionarily, cats are adapted to diets with at least 80% moisture and with mainly dry food they are unable to drink enough water to maintain normal hydration. Therefore they live in a state of sub-clinical dehydration, which predisposes to bladder trouble when young and kidney failure when older.

Also, if you check labels, you'll find that foods that come in pouches contain some of the most unhealthy ingredients. Wheat gluten for example, and glutens in general, are the residues of processed wheat and other grains. These glutens can cause inflammation, and eventually a malabsorption of food from the intestinal tract (gluten enteropathy) and a variety of intestinal problems.

In addition, many veterinarians will also tell you that when on a proper diet, and healthy overall, cats should not drink, and drinking is a good indicator that either there is a medical issue or more likely, the wrong diet.

I urge you to make canned food the main part of the diet and add only a very small amount of dry food if you really want to. The dry food your cat eats should just be enough for a small treat once a day, not a regular meal. And it should be high-quality, with as little grain as possible.

Here is some information for you on grains in general:

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/grains.php

A few years ago Dr. Jean wrote an article about canned foods and in that article she said something very, very important we should always remember:

Canned food is far more similar to a cat’s natural diet, in both composition and moisture than dry food. Cats evolved as desert animals, which means that their kidneys must be extremely efficient and able to conserve most of the moisture they take in. In the wild, their water needs would be met by eating prey such as birds, rodents or insects, whose bodies contain 60-70 percent water.

They are not “natural” drinkers – studies suggest that cats will not drink water until they are significantly dehydrated. This causes their kidneys to essentially “work overtime” all the time. No wonder we see so much kidney failure in kitties! By feeding canned food, you are supplementing their water intake and giving those precious kidneys a break.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the response, i also feed raw meat/bones besides dry but my 5 month old kitten is very picky and i have to put the sauce mix with the raw before he eats it and only eats a little and rarely drinks, my 10 month old eats half a cup of raw meat/bones plus dry and he drinks lots and lots of water throughout the day, i mean he sits there for minutes at time at least 5 or more times a day, he's very healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page