My cat Gilligan is very sick :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My cat Gilligan is very sick :(

My cat Gilligan has taken a turn to the worse. I had posted a brief thread on what was going on here:

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20922

Well, when I got home yesterday from work, he was on the bed breathing very heavily. My partner told me that he hadnt moved from the bed all day. This is strange because he always loves to be in the same room with whoever is home. We got scared and took him to the animal hospital. They looked at the current blood results from Friday and compared it to 3 weeks ago and said that his red blood count had gone down significantly (it was already low to begin with). His gums and ears were pale white. His Iron was also low and he was dehydrated.

As I posted in the other thread, his kidney function was a little above normal but not to the extent that the DR felt would have this kind of reaction. Although he tends to suspect its still related.

He stayed over night. They rehydrated him and have been force feeding him today. He is having an ultrasound done any time now. They basically have no idea what can be causing it. He dosnt appear to be in any pain. Im so sad. I didnt like the way he looked or was acting at all. He deterioted so much in just a few days.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions Id greatly appreciate it. I'll keep everyone posted.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 PM

((((((Rich))))))))
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat....
I had to force feed one of mine a few months ago, and although it's hard (emotionally...I felt so horrible) it's for the best.
I don't have any advice to give you, other than to try to coax him into eating as much as you can - I was told to put some parmesan cheese on top of the food, choose the smelliest one available, and sit there and try to feed it to him by spoon - sometimes that will start things going.
I hope Gilligan is feeling better, let us know how he is.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:40 PM

Sorry to hear about Gilligan, I hope the vet can make him better

Best wishes to you both
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you both for your wishes.

I just got off the phone with the Vet. They finished the Ultrasound and found nothing. Although thats good, it doesn't help to find what's wrong with him. She said there was another Vet present during the Ultrasound that reviewed all of Gilligan's records and has no explanation either. She suggested now that they do a Spleen Asperate (sp?). ALthough I gave them the go ahead, im not sure what good it will do. We'll see. She's gonna call me back when they are done.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 05:17 PM

Did they test him for Lukemia???

When my Pookie got sick I took him to my vet & the first thing she noticed was his pale gums. She immediately suspected Feline Lukemia. His blood pressure was extremely low & his chest cavity was filled with fluid. He was already near death so I agreed to PTS. He did indeed have Lukemia. I lost my boy 11/28/2003 & I miss him still.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Cat Addict

hugs & prayers being sent to the sweet furry
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hi Everyone,

Im so sorry about Pookie. Yes, they tested him for Lukemia. It was negative. The Dr. just called me with some more results. They had tested his stool for parasites and tested him for Infectious Feline Anemia and all came back neg. She mentioned he ate all his food last night which is great. She mentioned some diarreaha though. He hadnt had any of that. Could just be the stress of being at the hospital . She doesnt want to put him on any more meds so we're gonna wait it out and see if it continues or gets worse.

Im picking him up and bringing him home tonight. Im happy he'll be back in his home and more relaxed but at the same time, Im back to square one. There has been no resolution for the anemia and in the condition he was in on Monday, im afraid i'll bring him home and he'll get bad again. We'll see what happens.

THanks for your prayers dmcwlvssr. Every bit helps.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:33 AM

I hope kitty recovers!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 05:34 PM

You and your Gilligan are in my thoughts and prayers.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 06:11 PM

I'll keep fingers and paws crossed for your kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page