Help Kitty with a puncture wound - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Help Kitty with a puncture wound

My friend has a cat (male unuetered). He has a puncture wound in his front leg. I told her to keep it cleaned the best she could, she is has been applying cortisone cream on it. What all should she be doing?

Her parents won't take the cat to the vet, I have already suggested that. She is just trying to do what she can for it. I remember when Chloe had grubs and maggots in her neck....whew that was one gross thing ever!!!

So please let me know what she can do and I'll let her know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

ANYONE!!!!???? PLEASE??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:48 PM

Well...when my cat get's acne on his chin (it can be pretty severe at times) I put some iodine on it - BUT MIX THE IODINE WITH WATER!!!!
I think Betadine is actually recommended more, but again, mix it with water until it is the colour of weak tea, and than wipe down the wound - hopefully that should help.
Ideally though, he should go to the vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Banned

As Hana suggested, or an anti-bacterial soap containing chlorhexadine. Hibicleans is the brand I use. Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory. It won't do anything to prevent infection.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Cat Addict

Cortisone is an anti-itch and anti-inflamatory cream. I don't think it would be much help for a puncture wound.
When Aki was a kitten, he had a nasty abcess on his back that broke open. The vet suggested Neosporin or a triple antibiotic ointment. Both of these are painless and will help the healing process and to prevent infection.
I would not suggest using iodine, even if its diluted. Iodine can be used to disinfect wounds for many animals, but shouldn't be used on cats because they are very susceptible to iodine poisoning.
If the wound remains clean and uninfected, you should be able to treat it at home, but if it doesn't seem to be healing or becomes infected, then your friend will need to scrape together enough money to take the cat to a vet.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 02:22 AM

It should be fine as long as the puncture wound is kept clean and open. If the hole seals with infection underneath, thats what will cause an abcess. His entire state will be contributing to him fighting to end up with these wounds, which could easily lead to fatal diseases like FIV & FeLV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page