Nestle/Purina - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Nestle/Purina

I don't feed Purina to my cats but something on this forum made me curious. In another thread someone posted that Nestle, the company that owns Purina has a disgusting human rights record and that she chooses to boycott that company. I have no knowledge about this. Could someone please tell me what Nestle has done? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:03 PM

I figure that someone you're talking about is me? So I'll tell you what I know. One thing Nestle basically does (and this is very basic) is give powdered baby milk to new mothers in poverty stricken third world countries. They get free samples for a while and then the free samples stop. The baby then rejects their mothers milk and the mothers are forced to buy Nestle powdered milk formula.

That is one small thing that they do... www.babymilkaction.org will answer all your questions...they do fantastic work. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:04 PM

From: http://www.mcspotlight.org/beyond/companies/nestle.html

Nestlé holds about 50% of the world's breast milk substitute market and is being boycotted for continued breaches of the 1981 WHO Code regulating the marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Nestlé encourages bottle feeding primarily by either giving away free samples of baby milk to hospitals, or neglecting to collect payments. It has been criticised for misinforming mothers and health workers in promotional literature. Nestlé implies that malnourished mothers, and mothers of twins and premature babies are unable to breastfeed, despite health organisations claims that there is no evidence to support this.

Evidence of direct advertising to mothers has been found in over twenty countries such as South Africa and Thailand. Instructions and health warnings on packaging are often either absent, not prominently displayed or in an inappropriate language. All of these actions directly contravene the Code regulating the marketing of baby milk formulas.

Even in the UK, bottle-fed babies are up to ten times more likely to develop gastro intestinal infections, but in the Third World, where clean water may be absent, mothers may be illiterate and independent health care and advice may be lacking, bottle feeding can be more dangerous. This can lead to a situation where bavies are left vulnerable to dysentery, malnutrition and death, and Nestle is able to retain its estimated $4 billion market share in the baby-milk industry.
[Baby Milk Action, Action Pack, March 1993] [Breaking the Rules (IBFAN 1991)] [State of the Code by Company (IOCU 1991)] [Baby Milk Action, Newsletter Summer 1989] [Baby Milk Action Update, July 1992, November 1991, September 1991]]

Exploiting employees

In 1989 workers at a Nestlé chocolate plant in Cacapava, Brazil went on strike. The wprkers compained of poor working conditions, including discrimination against women, lack of protective clothing and inadequate safety condition. Within two months of the beginning of the stike the company had sacked forty of its workers, including most of the strike organisers.

[The Global Consumer - Phil Wells & Mandy Jetter (New Consumer/Gollancz 1991)]

Supporting brutal / repressive regimes

Nestlé has subsidiaries in Brazil, China, Colombia, Egypt, El Salvador, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Lebanon, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Senegal, Sri Lanka and Turkey. The company also has subsidaries in South Africa which it owned during the Apartheid year. L'Oréal adds Peru and Morocco to the list.
[Who Owns Who 1992, D&B]

Abusing animals

Nestlé own nearly 50% of the cosmetics company L'Oreal. L'Oreal was subject to boycott calls from animal rights groups including PeTA because of its animal testing policy. Since then L'Oreal has claimed that it no longer tests finished products on animals. This statement is obviously intended to mislead since finished products do not require further testing and it implies that the ingredients are certainly still subject to tests. Some groups called off the boycott in response to L'Oreals' claims, however there are individuals and organisations who continue the boycott and L'Oreal continues to test on animals.

Nestlé itself manufactures products containing meat and has been critised by BUAV for testing its coffee's carcinogenicity on mice.
[Liberator, Summer 1991]

More info and links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestle_boycott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
One thing Nestle basically does (and this is very basic) is give powdered baby milk to new mothers in poverty stricken third world countries. They get free samples for a while and then the free samples stop. The baby then rejects their mothers milk and the mothers are forced to buy Nestle powdered milk formula.
Its also not just that the babies reject the mothers milk, but that they are using dirty water (the only water available) to make the artificial milk that they are told is better for their babies because they are weak from hunger/childbirth etc. The children are then getting sick from the bad water and would be alot better off being breastfed
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:08 PM

Thanks Icklemiss...that's a much more useful snippet of why I boycott them! I could talk about it for hours...just don't want to bore everyone with my 'faffy liberal ways' (my boyfriends words!)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
Thanks Icklemiss...that's a much more useful snippet of why I boycott them! I could talk about it for hours...just don't want to bore everyone with my 'faffy liberal ways' (my boyfriends words!)
I think my bf sneaks in things I boycott when I am not looking... He gave them cat chow as a treat once! I found the box in the garbage. Not only did he do that but he gave them extra so he could bin the box before I got home and seen it because he couldn't be bothered to go to the petshop and get proper food!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, they make lousy chocolate compared to fine european chocolates and french truffles from Trader Joes. And a lot of their cat foods are of the cheapest and the lowest quality of all. It's fine if some people can't afford the best but Deli Cat and Kit N Kaboodle? That stuff is real cheap. I have no problem boycotting Nestle. If you ever get the chance, try Trader Joe's french truffles. They are heavenly.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 01:25 PM

Not to mention the fact that Nestle Purina are one of the biggest culprits for horrible animal testing too.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Cat Addict

Aw man. I like their chocolate. Looks like I'll have to switch.

*eyes the Lindor truffles*
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I only eat Lindor truffles. I can taste the hydrogenated oils in Hershey and Nestle's chocolates. The hydrogenated oils taste weirdly bitter.

The Lindor truffles are always 75% off after every major holiday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page