Hey all. I'm probably being neurotic because we recently lost Aggie to (we think) a dog. So I'm going to be ovreprotective for a while.
Aggie's sister, Eowyn, is behaving as if she has a hairball. I've seen kitties with this trouble before. But she seems to really be struggling. She also sounds very hoarse when she attempts to cough it up (which is an assumption on my part). She's a short hair, by the way.
I've never heard a cough like this accompanying a hairball. We've started giving her medicine and I thought I'd also ask you all if over the counter hairball treatment is safe. We've used it before and never had trouble, but I don't want to find out the hard way that it isn't safe.
How long should I wait to see if it clears up before wisking her off to the vet? Or should I wait at all? You guys may remember the episode with Sarah a month or so ago when she mysteriously stopped eating and it turned out she'd swallowed a wad of thread. So, I'm definately on edge right now. It's not been a good few weeks for our kitties. But I don't want to overreact and run up another bill if it's just a hairball.
Eowyn is still eating, she's playful. But she just stops more and more often to cough and behave as if there's a hairball a-comin'.