Help!! My cat is sick! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Help!! My cat is sick!

I have a 3 year old male cat. He is fixed. A few months ago, he became sick. Hiding under the bed, not eating, weak. I brought him to the Vet and was told that he had an upper respiratory problem. My cat was given amoxicilian. I gave it to him for a week. He was fine for a few weeks. Eventually, he got sick again. I gave him more medicine. I took him back to the vet a month ago for the same problem. This time, he was given the same medicine. Instead of 1cc, I had to give him 1 1/2 cc. I did that. He is now starting to act the same way again. My vet told me that we may have to do blood work to figure out the problem.
Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing my cat to be sick? We thought maybe allergies.
I am really starting to freak out bc my kitty is my baby and I don't know what to do. My vet may not be in until Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Its me again.

I thought of more information about my kitty. I noticed he as been shedding quite a bit lately, I think maybe his winter coat. Is it possible that he has a hairball?
I read something on another posting about getting a humidifier. Would that help him in his breathing?

Also, I have another cat, Punkin. She is about a year old. I found her on a farm where we used to live. Since I have had her, she has not been sick once. It's been a year since we moved from the farm. About six months after we moved in, that is when Mike(the sick kitty) got sick for the first time. Is it possible that there is mold or something in our apartment? I hope that is not the case because it is very hard to find rentals that allow pets.

I just don't know what to do. I just hope that it is not something that could be deadly. Mike is the most lovable cat I have ever met. He is my baby. Wherever I go, he is there. As soon as I lay or sit down, he is on my lap. I would be seriously heartbroken if some was wrong.
Ok...I think I am done now.

Please help
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 03:29 AM

I think it would be worth getting some blood work done, especially a test for FIV & FeLV, both diseases which compromise the immune system and can make infections a lot harder to get rid of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 06:41 AM

As Emma suggested, you should have your kitty tested (or retested if a test was already done sometime in the past) for FeLV/FIV.
Also talk to your vet about checking for histoplasmosis and other possibilities.
X-rays, bloodwork and cultures should all be included in the diagnostic work.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's advice. I called my Vet this morning. He let me refill Mike's perscription. I am going to have blood work done. I can't it afford for a couple more weeks. I was told the blood work would check for alot of things. They think there is a good chance that he has allergies because I told them he was shedding more than usual. I guess we won't know anything for a couple of weeks. I know the medicine I have for him will at least make him feel better for now.

He is doing somewhat better. When I got home from work this morning, he was laying in the hallway instead of hiding under the bed. I put him in front of his food and water to see if he would eat. He didn't. But he went straight for his litter box and went. I checked that out and that seemed to be ok. When it came time to hide it, he had more energy that I'd seen him have all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page