Kitten only eats raw diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Kitten only eats raw diet

One of my recent rescues decided she wants to eat nothing but the raw food diet. I buy the one that is the complete diet, i.e., has fruits and vegetables and vitamins/minerals. I noticed she enjoyed chewing on the dogs pig ears so I figured she must like the taste of meat. She was on baby formula and cereal for the first 2 weeks I had her and my vet told me she should be eating solid food, but she didn't want to have anything to do with the umteen varieties of wet and dry I offered. So one day when I as giving out raw food to the dogs for a treat and she of course was sitting underneath them (she thinks she's a 65# dog), she kept looking up like she wanted to try some. So I put a bit no the floor and she first tried to play with it, but then ate it. Now that is all she wants. I am glad because I've never had a cat who ate just raw food and I'm curious to see how she grows, etc. I'm a bit dissappointed though because I was hoping to find her another home. I rescue so I don't need another. I have 5 others I also rescued who are not adoptable as they are a bit wild. Needless to say I'll have to get real lucky to find someone who wants to feed this baby nothing, but raw food. Oh well, what's one more!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Banned

Just to be sure she gets the proper nutrients, you might want to supplement the raw diet with a cat multi-vitamin/mineral/amino acid complex.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:07 PM

A kitten won't starve herself because of food preference. Raw is great for cats, though. Even if you rehome her to a home that wants to feed cat food, I think she'll be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

I started mixing in some Innova EVO with the raw food and she likes it. I want her to get use to dry food so I can possibly get her adopted. Right now no one wants to adopt a cat that eats nothing, but raw food. When I tell this to people they think I'm strange. HA!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 09:26 AM

Well I don't think that you're strange! I think that you're wonderfully adaptable to be able to accomadate to meet this fussy guys needs! There should be more people like you!

In my experience though, some of these really tiny, young & malnourished guys simply have to be taught to eat appropriate diets.

These little guys are attracted by the SMELL...the stronger the odour, the more stimulated the appetite...Pig ears & raw foods have a more marked odour.

Especially if they've had URTIs...I think there is a residual diminished capacity to smell...(it gradually resolves).

Orphans have problems too....a lot of food preferences are learned behaviour....the lack of a role model could be another reason.

Have you tried rubbing her lips / chin / paws with canned cat food? I use stinky junk food varieties for this...like ( Forgive me LOL ) Fancy Feast...also Merricks makes a holistic product in tiny tins...but the price can be prohibitive...Another holistic product that my cats LOVE is Azmira Lamb & Barley... Honestly, I think it's the garlic in these foods that pique their interest...really stinky breath, YUCK!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

No, I haven't tried rubbing her lips with the canned food, but I might give that a try. I know I've done that on kittens I was trying to get to eat solid foods when they weren't able to smell and it worked. Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

I mised in the EVO dry in her raw food and she seems to really enjoy it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 03:15 PM

Call me stupid LOL...but what's EVO ?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 04:03 PM

Its a food with wet like nutrient listings but in a kibble formula.

Its made by Innova http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=home-tab

I feed mine it and they love it... 50% protein for a dry food is amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page