Kidney failure - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Kidney failure

Maybe some of you can enlighten me so I may enlighten a friend who I think is being misguided by her vet.

She has a 17 yrd. old cat who is in kidney failure. His creatin is through the roof. Those are her words. However, the vet gave him some fluids and wants to try fluid therapy for a while.

I think this is just prolonging the cat's misery. I know we all have our own way of dealing with our pet's illnesses. I personally don't see it as humane to stick a 17 yr. old cat every day with a big needle to give him fluid. I don't see this as a quality life for the animal.

What do you folks think about this? If I am wrong I want someone to tell me because I really don't know at this point. tell me of your experience with an elderly cat in kidney failure. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:49 AM

I urge you and anyone who is interested in what can be done for a cat in kidney failure to get this book:
The Last Chance Dog by Donna Kelleher DVM
and start with the chapter Cat on a Hunger Strike

Also, I would urge the owner of the cat to contact Dr. Shawn Messonnier for a phone consult to learn about treatment options based on the BUN and creatinine levels.

Shawn Messonnier DVM
Plano Texas
972-867-8800

For detailed information I can highly recommend this book also:
Shawn Messonnier DVM: Natural Health Bible for Cats and Dogs

If the owner could find a wonderful holistic vet locally who is as good as Dr. Kelleher or Dr. Messonnier, that would be great.
Because there is a long list of treatment options in addition to administering fluids (fluids are absolutely essential and most cats don't mind getting fluids at all) and those extras are the things that make a world of difference for the cat.

To find a holistic vet:
http://www.ahvma.org/referral/index.html

You are not wrong, you just don't know about everything that's available
to us when we need to treat chronic conditions including kidney disease.
When treatment brings back a cat's appetite and makes it feel much better in general, when you see the blood values go down and other values that needed to be brought up go up, you know that you are not prolonging the cat's misery.

Other wonderful holistic vets who can be reached for a phone consult:

Mark D Newkirk, VMD
Margate Animal Hospital & Alternative Care Center
9200 Ventnor Ave
Margate, NJ 08402
609-823-3031
Fax 609-822-9152

JOSEPH DEMERS , DVM
HOLISTIC ANIMAL CLINIC
496 N. HARBOR CITY BOULEVARD
MELBOURNE , FL 32935
Phone: 321-752-0140
Fax: 321-752-0150
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:03 AM

I just want to add that relying on fluids alone is a big mistake and that's why many owners fail. Please urge your friend to use every holistically available treatment option in an effort to prolong her cat's life. (If that's what she wants to do.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Re: Kidney failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotocats
I think this is just prolonging the cat's misery. I know we all have our own way of dealing with our pet's illnesses. I personally don't see it as humane to stick a 17 yr. old cat every day with a big needle to give him fluid. I don't see this as a quality life for the animal.

What do you folks think about this? If I am wrong I want someone to tell me because I really don't know at this point. tell me of your experience with an elderly cat in kidney failure. Thanks
While I can't speak of this cat's medical status..every cat is different...I can tell you that I have an 11 year old cat that was diagnosed with chronic renal failure early last dec. I "stick my cat every day with a big needle" LOL My cat gets a chicken treat each time and actually begs me to hurry up when it comes close to getting his fluids! My cat is doing wonderfully and is actualy playful and happy. I do fluids each day and add phosphorus binders to his food. We monitor his bloodwork and should things change, we'll add as needed, potassium supplements, b12 etc. For now I think fluids are a HUGE life saver for my kitty. We tried every few days and every other day but he feels the best when we give every day. I know he won't live forever but for now he is very happy so we'll keep on going.

There is a wonderful Yahoo chronic renal failure support group and a couple of wonderful informational sites such as : http://www.felinecrf.com.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much

Thanks so much for the information. We do have a holistic vet, Dr. Segrera, here in our area. She has done wonderful things, one in particular, saving a friend's dog who was in liver failure. I will refer her to my friend. Unfortunately my friend may not take this advice, but I'll mention it anyway. I also sent her the link to the support group site. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks again.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 04:50 PM

Can a cat be cured of kidney failure? Yes, according to more than a few testimonials like this one:

Subject: Full recovery of a cat with chronic renal failure (CRF)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004
I emailed you awhile back asking you about my cat who had chronic renal failure. I called Dr. Will Falconer and our cat is doing a million times better. He is like a kitten again and is so full of energy and life! We haven't seen him look or feel this good since he was a kitten. He is also working with our kitten who is having some issues as well. He is wonderful to work with and listens to what is being said and responds accordingly. What we may think are insignificant things he picks up on and addresses them as to whether or not they are real concerns. I recommend him to anyone. Thank you so much for the information. It has saved Zeke's life. Here is what we did for Zeke:

We changed his diet and we also started giving him just a few drops of the homeopathic remedy Sulphur at night and a transfer factor in each meal. He and our kitten did ok on the raw diet at first but then something went horribly wrong and he couldn't stop vomiting after our attempt with veal. Then after that the other foods we tried just didn't work. Dr. Falconer was paged during the vomiting episode and he then prescribed 3 Nux Vomica diluted in 8 oz. of water and give him 1/4 of a tsp. at night before bed. We have been doing that instead of sulpher. We also went back to dry Innova for a couple of weeks and are now working with Dr. Falconer and a person up here who is helping us switch both of our cats (and dogs) slowly over to B.A.R.F. so it is an easier switch to them. It's like having new animals! Zeke is especially more spunky. He is walking along our banisters and takes naps high up on top of our cupboards. He hasn't done that since he was a kitten. He also is more willing to play with toys and loves his bird feather toy. It's an amazing difference. His body is able to digest and process these natural proteins. We are feeding him ground chicken wings and necks and I mix in a touch of kiefer and egg yolk. We take the whites out of the eggs since that is not good for his kidneys. Hopefully we'll be able to expand his choices but that is all he will eat at the moment. He turns down duck, beaver and beef. We will be trying lamb here shortly. But the key to our cats is taking things extremely slowly. Even our kitten is not too keen on the whole raw thing, but now ki efer is her favorite and you can't keep her away from the jar when we bring it out.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:24 PM

Sierra, in that testimonial it says nothing about bloodwork and ultrasound to verify that the renal failure was "cured." My cat was playing and acting like a kitten just yesterday but I know better than to get my hopes up. Ultrasound has revealed that my cats kidney's are "small and ugly looking" according to the doctor that did the ultrasound. Just like in people, once your kidneys get like this, I highly doubt a full cure. Yes if you catch EARLY renal failure, a lot can be done. Because cats are infamous for hiding symptoms, often it is late in the disease before we notice anything amiss.

I don't discount holistic care. I think it is a wonderful thing to have options. My feeling is from joining many different renal failure boards (with members with very open minds, mind you) that the odds are that CRF cannot be cured....only slowed down.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:21 PM

I don;t think it's wrong of her to prolong the cats life if she can do so while keeping him comfortable.....Howie is really old for a dog and he is in renal failure, and I am doing fluid therapy for him, along with feeding KD diet.....just these 2 things have already greatky improved his attitude and health. Fluids can do wonders.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Wanted to bring all of you who offered advice up to speed on my friend's cat. He is responding wonderfully to the fluid therapy. So for now she is bringing him in twice a week to receive fluids. Like me, she just can't stick that needle in. I have a good excuse, I'm a novice. She's a registered nurse, but has problems sticking her cats. She said it doesn't bother her to stick humans. HA!

So for now Ghost is doing well. Thanks for your help.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotocats
She's a registered nurse, but has problems sticking her cats. She said it doesn't bother her to stick humans. HA!

o.k. now that's sad Guaranteed after a few weeks she'll get sick of going to the vets and will want to do it herself LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page