Need Help - Weight Loss, Lethargy, Unstable - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Need Help - Weight Loss, Lethargy, Unstable

Hi -

While searching the internet for possible causes of my cat's health problems I ran across your site.

I took my 11 year old cat to the vet a couple of weeks ago after I noticed that she had become much less active, was sleeping frequently and seemed to have dialated pupils. The vet ran comprehensive blood tests on her and found nothing that would cause concern. He thought at first that she was totally blind but the next day he reported she was following his hand so she could see. Her pupils seemed to return to normal after a couple of days.

I thought she was out of the woods because her behavior seemed to return to normal. But, in the last day or so she has started to detoriate again. She sleeps constantly and doesn't get up very often. She goes to the food bowl but only picks at the food. She has lost weight and it has become apparent. Her coat is off - dull. She gets agitated when I run my hand near her tail. Her walk seems unsteady and she hesitates before jumping on the couch.

The vet mentioned the possibility of a neurological disorder including a brain tumor. She's strictly indoors so I don't think it's any sort of poison (I take many precautions when cleaning). Does anyone have any thoughts?? I plan to take her to the vet on Monday but wondered if anyone has had similar experiences.

Thanks,
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 04:03 AM

Get her tested for thyroid problems & high blood pressure if it hasn't already been done. The bloodwork she has had would have showed up any signs of poisoning, as it usually presents with a high ALT count on blood biochemistry. I hope you can find out whats wrong and get her sorted, keep us updated.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 05:28 AM

I am sorry to hear that your kitty is not feeling well...A lot of the symptoms you have described could really be the effect of anything and I think if your kitty would have something serious it would have been found in the blood work.

How are her drinking habits? Are you feeding her dry food, wet food, or both? When she walks is she weaving and unstable (like someone drunk)? Observe her and I suggest getting a second opinion from another vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Banned

These symptoms sound oddly familiar. I'm sure we've had another member post about their cat with similar symptoms. And it was a medical condition. But I just can't remember when or what it was. And can't come up with any keywords that helped me find it. Anybody else remember this?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:24 PM

Well, it did sound familiar to me too. It sounds like it could possibly be ensetholopy (sp) but if the blood work is normal then it is not this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:53 PM

Diabetes

Has she been tested for diabetes? My one experince with diabetes was when a cat began losing her lustre and then became weak and couldn't get around very good.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:42 PM

Get Xrays done!!! Have you done that already??

If it is a brain tumer shouldn't it be seen on Xrays??
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Figured Out Problem

Hi everyone -

Thanks for your responses. My baby had a bare spot with a wound suddenly appear on her side which I know came from one of my other cats. The abcess rupterred and I had to take her to emergency vet to have it flushed out, cleaned and to get her on antibiotics. This was the first time I've ever had this happen to one of my cats so it was pretty scary for me.

Anyway, she's doing better now as far as looking off color but of course she's depressed because she has one of those dreaded cones on her head. I think she feels I am punishing her She is very hungry but I can't figure out how to feed her with this cone. Every time she approaches the small bowl I put down for her she knocks it over. Any suggestions??? She's due to get the cone off and stiches removed Thursday.

Thanks,
Laura
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie007
Get Xrays done!!! Have you done that already??

If it is a brain tumer shouldn't it be seen on Xrays??
Brain tumors won't show up on regular x-rays. You have to have an MRI done.

So glad you figured out what was wrong with your kitty
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 04:53 PM

Laura,
I'm sorry, I don't know what this could be but I just wanted to reply and tell you my heart goes out to you and my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope they are able to find the cause and it is treatable, I knowall to well the worry your going through. hang in there and don't give up hope. Please keep us updated.

~LilJoe~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page