Should I include "low-quality" wet food in my cat' - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Should I include "low-quality" wet food in my cat'

We've been attempting to get our cat, Brutus, to eat wet food. We've read all the articles and discussions concerning the benefits of an all canned diet versus dried food, so we introduced Brutus to several different brands (Nutro Natural Care, Wellness, etc.) and flavors of wet food (including pouched food). The problem is that he doesn't seem to really like any of them. He prefers dry food by far, and I've just about given up on the idea of giving Brutus wet food.

My question is, do you think it's better to feed Brutus an all dry diet of high quality food (such as Wellness, Nutro, etc.), or is it better for him to have at least some wet food, even if it's something with low quality ingredients like Fancy Feast? Or is wet food in general so much better for a cat that feeding an all canned diet of something like Fancy Feast is better than an all-dry diet of the highest quality brands?

I ask this because some people on this board have talked about how their cats seem to like Fancy Feast better than Wellness, California Natural, and other brands like that. I'm wondering if Brutus will like one of the lower-quality brands as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:52 PM

One of mine won't even look at wet food. As long as your cat is drinking water, a high quality all dry diet should not be a problem.

Canned 'cheaper' food wouldn't do any harm, if he will eat it.

If not perhaps look into Innova Evo which is a dry food with wet like ingredients and high protein etc. Its pretty expensive, but no different than feeding an all wet high quality diet.

I would rather feed a high quality dry over a low quality wet.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:54 PM

There is going to be alot of debate about this topic. At least one person on these boards will tell you "the worst quality wet food is better than the highest quality dry food." I think that is downright false. The correct statement is "a poor wet food is better than a poor quality dry food" because at least then the cat is eating a low ash, low carb diet, with plenty of moisture in it. I would much rather feed a high quality dry food like Innova or Wellness and make sure that my animal stays well hydrated, than give a low quality wet food like Special Kitty. Read labels and websites and see what works well for your cat. For instance, Innova Evo has a ash level around 10%, so despite it being a good food, it may cause problems for cats with urinary crystal problems. That being said, some mid grade store brand wet foods are fair foods if you check the label, and might be a descent alternative. Try to avoid foods where the top ingredients are grains or by products. Also just be warned that those low quality foods are so high in artificial flavoring that some cats almost become "addicted" to it and wont eat the quality foods that dont contain the artificial additives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
That depends. The only way I can get my cats to take their daily supplements is to mix it with Fancy Feast.

I can think of at least fifteen brands of canned foods that are lower quality than Fancy Feast.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Cool Cat

My Marsh is on fancy feast roasted turkey, and he's doing great. He gets about a can and a half a day, plus maybe at most a 1/4 of a cup of dry a a day (he free feeds 24/7).

i do not think fancy feast is the bottom of the barrel or low quality, it just doesn't fetch high prices as super-premium foods do.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
I can think of at least fifteen brands of canned foods that are lower quality than Fancy Feast.
And people could probably name 50 that are better, and really doesn't answer the posters question. But its not the worst food in the world either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micp879
a poor wet food is better than a poor quality dry food"
This I am more likely to agree with. However, if Brutus doesn't like wet food and he is getting a decent dry food and drinking enough water, I can't see a reason to force him to change.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
If you do decide to include Fancy Feast in the diet, Sam's Club has the best prices (33 cents a can).
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone, that's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I've decided to keep Brutus on an all dry-food diet. I do have one question however. We're currently feeding him Nutro Natural Choice Indoor dry food. From what I know, it's a good quality food. Do you think it's worth it to try and switch Brutus to something like Wellness or Innova? It sounds like those kinds of brands are supposed to be the best cat food.

And I didn't mean to make Fancy Feast sound like it's the absolute worst cat food out there, it's just that I've read a lot of other posts talking about it and it's the first brand that came to mind.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:28 AM

If you are going to feed dry try to stay away from 'Indoor' or 'Lite' foods, they contain more carbs as fillers to make your cat feel full - but the corn etc is what generally makes them overweight.

As for switching... mine hated Wellness but like Innova... other cats found it the other way around. You might want to see if your local petshop has small sample bags before you spend money on a big bag.

My local independent shop has actually kept 1 bag of each type of food and put a sample in Sandwich bags to let me try it - so ask if they don't have samples on the shelves.

I know SammyO feeds her cats Wellness and they like it... I know some cats prefer a certain flavour over another.

Mine I would say prefer the Innova EVO over Innova... but then they like Cat Chow too... so I don't know how much I trust their opinions
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:58 AM

I know cats that have lived very long lives on Fancy Feast and althought it's not the highest quality wet food you can buy, if your cat will eat only fancy feast canned food after trying all other brands, then if it was me I would feed very high quality dry food and fancy feast wet as a supplement. I think it's better than no wet food at all and in the wild cats do eat mouse guts so if the dry food doesn't have any by-products that would help balance the ratio of muscle meat to by-products so it wouldn't be too many by-products. However if your cat refuses all wet food, stick with high quality dry.

Or if you're patient, you can slowly mix a high quality canned food with your cat's dry food and gradually increase the amount of wet and decrease the dry. It takes time, so you may end up throwing wet food in the trash until your cat accepts it. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page