New Diet and Loose Stools *Update w/ Question* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

New Diet and Loose Stools *Update w/ Question*

A few weeks ago, we change the boys' diet from Purina dry and Nutro canned to Innova dry and Wellness canned. They love the new foods and gobble them right down (whereas it use to be a struggle to get Binx to eat ANY wet food). But, I've noticed that their stools are loose (almost diarrhea) and they seem to have more frequent gas. Could this be due to the richness of the new food? We made the switch gradually, and there is still even some remainder or the Purina dry mixed in with the Innova just so we don't waste it. I'm just not sure what's causing the bowel issues. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:04 PM

switching foods

The same thing happened to my cat, Rocky. I was switching from dry Science Diet to Wellness canned food. She loved the Wellness and after a couple of days wouldn't even eat the dry SD anymore so I know she was switched over too quickly. After a couple of weeks she got very runny stools and even vomited. I called the vet and I was told to put her on baby food -any meat for 3 days and then try the Wellness again. I bought Gerber Turkey 2nd foods and she loved it. After 3 days I started putting 1/2 Wellness and 1/2 baby food and now she is on all Wellness and her stools are normal and no vomiting. Also in the beginning I was trying alot of different flavors of the Wellness where as now I'm feeding her only the cans of Turkey, which is her favorite. You could try this or call your vet and see if they recommend this. It worked for my cat. Good luck to your boys!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:20 PM

Here is what you can do to find the source of the problem:

Check for dairy and vegetable ingredients in the Innova dry.
Make a list of these ingredients and compare it with the ingredients you had in the Purina dry.

I know there are vegetables in the Wellness canned and I also know many cats can't tolerate those.
You can compare the Wellness ingredients with the Nutro ingredients also.

Then look at the whole picture you get when you add up the vegetable ingredients in the canned and dry foods. Dairy and more vegetables than the kitties are used to can add up to trouble.

Also take a careful look at the grains to see if there is a big difference between the old and new food.

Since you are seeing loose stools, the sensible thing would be to cut back on the new foods (or stop them altogether) and find foods with simpler ingredient lists.
Then start from square one. For example, you could try feeding the Wellness canned again and a dry food that doesn't have vegetables. California Natural for instance, and see how that goes.
You may have to give up on the Wellness altogether if this food trial doesn't produce good results either.

While you are doing that you can also use a good probiotic (Culturelle for instance) for a month to improve the kitties' digestion.

Culturelle:
http://www.culturelle.com/index.jsp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

Hmmmm....I just bought a small bag of Innova dry to try. There is milk in there, but it's lactose-free. And it's got probiotics in it. No grains.

I wonder if maybe their digestive systems are getting used to the added probiotics?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:30 PM

PS: "vegetable ingredients" includes fruits such as apples, blueberries, etc, also.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:51 PM

timskitties....is this the food we are talking about?

http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/incatdryfo66.html

If it is, I believe you should have some kind of grain listed on the label.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Banned

Yes, you're right. I missed them first reading: barley and rice. Rice is pretty innocuous. So is barley, I think, from an allergenic standpoint. Do you think those could be the problem?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 06:16 PM

If the kitties are not allergic to those grains then most likely the fruits and veggies are causing the problem. (Very common.)
Some cats are allergic to rice and other grains AND several vegetables.
That makes finding good food very difficult.
My latest unhappy experience was with an otherwise excellent food that had broccoli in it. Yikes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Okay, I just did a comparative list between Purina One: Chicken and Rice and Innova and the differences reminded me of those Breyer's Ice Cream commercials where the kid says, "And I can pronounce all of the ingredients that are in Breyers!" Except our kitties would say, "And I can pronounce the ingredients that are in Innova!" Purina is pretty much nothing but chemicals and minerals.

Yes, Wellness has TONS of veggies. Besides corn meal, there's no trace of fruits or veggies in the Purina One. Nutro didn't have any. And the Innova has at least 5 fruits or veggies listed.

So, you think I should try feeding, say, Wellness cans and a veggie-free dry food like California Natural??

I appreciate all of the explainations and help. Thanks, Tim, also for jumping on board!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:06 PM

Yes, you could definitely try feeding Wellness and a veggie and fruit-free dry formula. Hopefully that combination will work. If you still see a problem when you do that, then you may have to do some more fine tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page