more questions about fleas.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

more questions about fleas....

I have 8 cats right now ( 7 kittens and 1 adult ). I am having a bit of a flea problem. Everyone keeps telling me that frontline is the best... frontline, frontline, frontline. Well yeah I could get frontline if I only had like 3 or 4 but have you seen how much it costs for a 6 pack? A 6 pack plus 3 pack is too much right now. I was just wondering if there is anything that I could use that works, is a little bit cheaper, and is safe for the cats? Sounds horrible I know, but we just don't have a ton of money right now. And what can I use that works to kill the fleas around the house besides a flea bomb ( flea bomb + birds = big no no )?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 12:59 PM

Yes, definately do not use any kind of flea bomb or sprays if you have birds.

I believe Advantage is a bit cheaper than Frontline, and it will get rid of them....I know what you are hoping for is something from the store, like Hartz, etc., but they truly are dangerous for you cats (so much so that they are being removed from the market) and besides, they simply don't work...at ALL. My mom didn't know they were dangerous and used them on her cat...thankfully he was fine, but so were the fleas! It was a complete waste of money....and I worked at a vet and saw alot more of the same.....they do not work.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 01:11 PM

When we had the ferals in the office, the vet gave us a spray on mousse, i can't remember who it was by... but it worked great and you can use it on the cats and carpets!

I will ask my boss if he remembers when he gets back on Thursday, I know he had to use it on his cats because he took the fleas home with him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Premier Cat

Icklemiss, was it "Adam's"? I used that years ago, before Advantage, and it worked pretty well. That's IF it's still around. Or there's flee powder for kittens and you can use boric acid around the house. In the long run though, I think Advantage(or Frontline) is worth it. It's more money in one shot but in the end I think it all works out to about the same. With everything else you just have to keep treating everything over and over and my feeling is you end up spending just as much if not more. Plus the hassel!

Victoria
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Someone told me that frontline spray is great and works just as good as the drops plus it is cheaper, what do you guys think about that? Someone else said that putting garlic in their food works but I didn't think that cats could have garlic?

I have tried the cat flea powder but that doesn't work either. We had to get it for my rabbits because they can't take baths and of course it doesn't work on them So I just don't know what to do. I have been going over them with a flea comb like a crazy person.

Nanook where do you get boric acid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page