Cat food made from fish - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Cat food made from fish

I remember reading that an all fish diet is bad for cats.. Right now I'm feeding my cats Nutro dry food (lamb I think? Not sure) in the mornings, and wet food in the evenings. Problem is, the only wet food I can get them to eat lately is Authority ocean fish formula.

So my question is would it still be too much seafood if I give them a can of the ocean fish each evening and give them the dry in the mornings/early afternoon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

Well, if it's canned cat food you're talking about, it's OK, because the fish is only one of many ingredients.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
That totally depends. Tuna is very high in mercury, but salmon and mackerel is probably okay.

I have a suspicion that the fish they put in canned cat foods are too small for human consumption. If that is the case, the fish might be too young to even have murcury build-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Problem is, the only wet food I can get them to eat lately is Authority ocean fish formula.
This tells you that a food preference has now turned into food addiction. To deal with this issue you need to stop feeding fish-based food of any kind for at least six months to a year.
In time the addiction will be under control and they will accept other foods again.

In addition to the immediate problem, which is a serious case of food addiction, fish is also a highly allergenic food (fish is higher in histamine than other protein sources). Sooner or later your kitties will develop health problems from it. Some of these health problems can be quite serious. To keep them safe you need to nip this dangerous addiction in the bud and have no fish-based food in the house until the problem is completely under control.
If sometime in the future you are able to feed fish again in small amounts - and not more often than once or twice a week - you will still have to avoid the brand and flavor that originally caused this problem with food addiction.

This is a quote from an article Dr. Jean wrote on canned food. I know you'll agree that it is excellent advice:

"Variety is, as always, important. Cats are easily addicted to a single food. One lady had a cat that would only eat Friskies Ocean Whitefish, and only if it was made at one particular factory (she knew this from the codes stamped on the cans), and even worse, only cans from one particular lot. She had friends scouring the entire mid-west to keep this guy supplied. If she doesn’t manage to successfully transfer him onto another food by the time the last can is gone, he may very well go on a hunger strike, with dire, if not fatal, consequences.

It’s a whole lot simpler to feed a variety of brands and flavors and prevent this type of addiction from developing. But be aware that cats are not necessarily their own best judges of the foods they should eat. Many cats would rather eat “junk food” brands from the supermarket, which contain more flavor additives than premium or natural brands that are better for them. (Well, sure, I’d rather eat ice cream than broccoli, too!) But we need to make wise, informed choices for our feline friends, and not let them manipulate us with unreasonable and unhealthy demands."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmie
One lady had a cat that would only eat Friskies Ocean Whitefish,
I just wonder, though, if this is one of those "urban legends" or whatever they would call it in cat world. The reason I wonder is because I read the very same story in a book. So maybe that's Dr. Jean's source, too. So it might very well be just one extraordinary case.

But, I don't mention it to counter your point, which is well taken. That being, that variety is important, and cats do become so accustomed to one food they won't eat anything else. This is particularly true for dry food, IMO.

Fish are addictive? Hmmmmm....didn't know THAT. Worth getting up today to learn something new, I guess!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I just wonder, though, if this is one of those "urban legends" or whatever they would call it in cat world.
I really don't know, but I can't imagine that someone like Dr. Jean would include an urban legend in an article she was writing about cat food.
That case definitely was an extraordinary one, probably that's why it made the rounds in several different publications.

As for dry cat food, the information inside this link
http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm
explains why it tastes so good. Scroll down just a little bit until you get to Animal and Poultry Fat.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
This tells you that a food preference has now turned into food addiction.
Actually, I've only fed it to them about three days in a row. I've been trying all manner of chicken and turkey and beef, and the ocean fish is all they eat, so I'm not worried TOO much about an addiction after only three days, but I'll keep that in mind.

To be more specific about things, I have two cats, and the female (Puss) is a lot less picky than the male (Montecore). Montecore is the one that is hard to find wet food for, and often when I find something he eats he will go at it once, eating maybe 1/8th of a can, then not touch it again, while Puss will keep eating it for a while and do probably over half the can by herself. The only thing I can find that he eats a decent amount of is the ocean fish. I've been trying to train them to eat more in one sitting by only leaving food out for certain intervals (rather than, for instance, just leaving dry out all day for them to snack on) but that hasn't really worked.

I got him to eat a good amount of some Iams beef formula yesterday, hopefully that will stick so I won't have to worry about it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 09:35 AM

No matter how picky, how hard to please, if you give in to food addiction, the health problems fish causes will show up sooner or later.
And you won't even know where they are coming from because nobody has warned you about them. Or if someone has, you haven't taken the warnings seriously.

Please don't make excuses, for the sake of your cats' health, stop giving food that's the only thing they will eat. The earlier you stop this kind of food addicition the better and safer for them. Not to mention your wallet, which will also suffer when the vet bills start to come along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page