Heart Murmur - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Heart Murmur

I brought my 3 year old Kip to the vet Monday for his yearly check up and the vet discovered a heart murmur. That just about freaked me out. He is the most affectionate, laid-back, loveable orange tabby in the world. I have waited forever to have an orange tabby, and now this!!! Has anyone got a kitty with a murmur? Can he live with this? The vet said it could be asymptomatic or he could have problems later on. I am absolutely beside myself! First, my Mickey was diagnosed with Lymphoma last October and now my Kip. He was purring so loud during the exam the vet had to take him away from me and bring him into the back room next to other kitties so he would slow down enough so she could hear his heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 06:22 PM

It depends on the degree of the murmur. Did the vet give you a number?
My calypso has murmur detected when she was 2yrs. Now she is 11. Her's is a 1 out of 6.
She's never had any symptoms. My vet did give me some things to watch for, open mouthed breathing being the big one.
But, depending on the grade of murmur a cat can live a long healthy life.
I do have a friend who knowingly adopted a puppy with a 6 out of 6 murmur, it was actually some sort of heart defect. The puppy lived to be 9 months old But he had a great life and they knew what his life expectancy was when they agreed to take him.

Jennifer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, Jennifer. She may have told me a number but I don't remember. I will call on Tuesday and ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Re: Heart Murmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey's Mom
He is the most affectionate, laid-back, loveable orange tabby in the world. I have waited forever to have an orange tabby, and now this!!! Has anyone got a kitty with a murmur?
My Sunshine also has a heart murmur. He is also the most affectionate, laid-back, and loveable white-orange tabby in the world. I waited 20 years to have him.

I buy taurine supplements from GNC. It seems to really help him with the heart murmur.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 07:35 PM

It depends on what grade the urmer is...find out the number from your vet, and then it is a good idea to get your kitty's heart listened to every year to see if it is worsening. Many cats live a long time with minor ones. My dog Howie has one that has recently worsened...it was a grade 1 for years and we just found out he is now a grade 5-6.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:50 PM

Mickey's Mom, here is some information for you about heart murmurs:

http://maxshouse.com/heart_murmurs.htm

Please ask your vet to refer you to a veterinary cardiologist for additional testing as soon as possible.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your replies. They have really eased my anxiety and I will most definitely contact the vet first thing Tuesday morning and post the results. Kip has NO IDEA that he has any problem whatsoever. He went flying through the house chasing a fly yesterday while I, in my anxiety, was the one with the heart problem!! It was quite a circus. Him, happily chasing the fly. Me, chasing him, trying to get the fly first so he would stop careening around upstairs and downstairs. Me, on the couch, puffing and panting and Kip coming over and sitting on my lap, purring, looking at me like I was a nut in rusting armour.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 09:51 AM

You might be lucky like me, my cat Arthur has got quite a bad heart murmur, however he had some ultrasounds done and the vet is 99% sure that he was born with it, he is a very active cat and he was diagnosed about 4 years ago when we was about 3 he is now 7 years old. The vet said that if it got worse (which he didn't think it would being something he has had from birth) they it could be helped with drugs. I am sure you cat will lead a very active and fun life so try not to worry too much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page