My cat has cancer :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

My cat has cancer :(

Hi everyone I am new to this site, I just found it and I must say I love it. Anyways here is the story...

I took my 5 year old cat Scratch to the vet to get his vaccinations. We were also concerned because he has lost a lot of wieht recently. He used to weigh about 14 pounds and now he only weighs 10 pounds and is very boney and skinny. Well we thought he might have diabetes and so did the vet. I took him in the next day to do tests for diabetes. I was very optimistic because I knew diabetes was treatable. Well the test came back negative for diabetes. The vet informed me that he had felt a lump in his abdomen and had done some more tests to see what was going on. He informed me that he wasn't trying to be negative but being honest he said "it isn't good"

The test results came back and the vet said that the lump is definetly cancer. I was devistated my 5 year old cat has cancer. The vet couln't tell me much more other than it was cancer. So we decided to take Scratch in for exploritory surgery to find out how bad the cancer is and if anything can be done for him. I still remained to be optimistic thinking we had caught this early and could probably remove the lump. I got a call from the vet after the surgery with devistating news. My poor Scratch has cancer everywhere in his abdomen. There are lymphnodes everywhere his stomach his intestines his kidney the vet said it was everywhere. The vet said he was unable to do anything for him and wanted to know whether he should wake Scratch up so we could bring him home or put him to sleep.

Anyways we decided to bring him home because he is not showing any signs of being sick right now except for the weight loss. Scratch still eats, drinks goes to the litter and acts happy as can be. The vet said he can't tell me how long Scratch has only that eventually things will start to shut down. So for now my baby is at home to live out the remainder of whatever life still remains. I feel helpless for my little guy. One thing is for sure at the first sign of him suffering or not eating etc we will be making a trip back to the vet to put him down. Sorry for the long read I just feel helpless about this and I am having a hard time but I feel better sharing his story with you guys

Here is a picture of Scratch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 08:00 PM

*HUGS*

I am so sorry. What deastating news. You will be *SO* happy you found this site...it is pretty active, and you will find SO MUCH support here, from people who really understand.

Welcome to the boards, and I'm sorry it took a sad diagnosis for you to find us, but I'm glad you did!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Banned

I'm so very sorry for you and Scratch. And least he will spend his last days knowing he is loved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Premier Cat

I'm SO sorry to hear about Scratch. I went through the exact same thing a couple of years ago with my beloved Twitch. I was so shocked because he was also quite young and like you I thought it was diabetes. I didn't realize but my vet said it's a very common cancer in cats.I know how devistated you must be. At least you have some time to enjoy him and he'll let you know when it's time.

Victoria
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 02:08 AM

I felt so bad when I read your post about Scratch. He has been lucky to have the years he has had with you. I hope he is happy until the end. Enjoy these days with him. I'm sad for you. Hugs to you both.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the support and kind words Scratch is living like a king lol he will be spoiled until the end I am thankful I get to spend this time wih him
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Bless you for choosing to let him live out his life at home. Not only do you have the pleasure of his company for a bit longer, but he will have you to see him through.

I cannot even try to imagine the heartbreak you must have felt at the news, but it's wonderful to see that you didn't give up then.

May you two have longer together than anyone could predict.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 10:09 AM

awe, I am so sorry!!!

I lost my Jazzy in May, due to liver disease... I know how aweful it is to feel what you are feeling.

It's a hard road you are about to take, but I guess the best way to look at it is you gave Scratch a a good life, and the best life he could get. I'm sure he knows that.

I'm sorry.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 02:33 PM

I am so sorry to read your story. My Mickey is 7 and was diagnosed with Lymphoma last October. He has been fine after an aggressive treatment of several medications. I know things can go bad at any time, but I am grateful for every good day we have. Hugs to you and your baby.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Cat Addict

Hugs to you & belly pats to Scratch, I feel for you I lost MyThai to cancer a few years ago. Just go with your heart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page