Pregnancy Questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to Tindi18
Pregnancy Questions

Marshmellow is my outside cat. She is relatively small. We suspect this is because her mother didn't get enough nutrients while she was pregnant with her. Marshmellow is now a little more than 1.5 months pregnant and we are giving her all the nutrients she needs for her kittens to develope and be born healthy. I'm a little worried that Marshmellow may get hurt when she delivers her kittens since they will be normal sized while Marshmellow is small.
Do these things have anything to do with eachother or am I just being silly?
Is there anything I should do to prepare for the birth of her kittens?
Is there anything I should do while she's giving birth?
Should I have anything ready for the kittens once they are born?

Any tips that anyone can give me relating to this will be greatly appreciated.

~Alexandra

Cats were once worshipped like gods. They never let us forget that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 04:17 AM

Personally, I would bring her inside to have her kittens, despite her being an outdoor cat. Yes, the risks are increased by her small size. You are going to have to be with her whilst she gives birth, and you're going to have to have an emergency vets number at hand. Things are likely to go smoothly, but complications can easily occur, especially with a tiny queen. Sorry for being so blunt, but she really should have been speyed and not be allowed to mate or have kittens. I sincerely hope you will spey her after all this is over. Giving birth can severely damage or even kill a tiny cat, how old is she? I am guessing she is immature as well as undersized...please bring her indoors and get her checked out if at all worried
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_pen
Personally, I would bring her inside to have her kittens, despite her being an outdoor cat. Yes, the risks are increased by her small size. You are going to have to be with her whilst she gives birth, and you're going to have to have an emergency vets number at hand. Things are likely to go smoothly, but complications can easily occur, especially with a tiny queen. Sorry for being so blunt, but she really should have been speyed and not be allowed to mate or have kittens. I sincerely hope you will spey her after all this is over. Giving birth can severely damage or even kill a tiny cat, how old is she? I am guessing she is immature as well as undersized...please bring her indoors and get her checked out if at all worried
Thank you for being so straight forward. I did want to get her spayed for that reason, but my mom didn't want to pay te money for it. There was also a time when she was sick and we couldn't have the procedure done even if we wanted to. After that, we sort of forgt about it. She's not extremely underszed, she is just not quite as big as she should be. She's about a year and a half in age. I would love to bring her inside. There is only one problem with that. Since she used to be a street cat, she is not house broken and will most likely urinate all over the house. The last time we had her inside, she didn't get along with my other cat and did not do well with the litter box. I hope we can bring her inside though. I'm worried that something might happen to her outside.

~Alexandra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 05:23 AM

If she was confined to one room with a box & litter tray, she might do okay. I would not recommend letting her loose in your house with your other cat, as that in itself would cause problems.

I am thinking here. I wonder if theres any way your mum would kinda loan you the money to get her speyed? Like she could get her done, and you could work to repay her? Or even do odd jobs for your neighbours, etc, explaining that you need as much as you can make for such a good cause?

It's a real shame, situations like this. Please explain to your mum that she can get pregnant whilst still nursing her kittens, and the outside world will be a dangerous place for her whilst nursing. Her kittens could easily be injured, killed, or catch diseases. Once they are weaned, what is your mum planning to do with them? They are going to need good homes where they won't end up in shelters, dumped, or contributing to the overpopulation problems themselves.

The cat does npt have to stay in your house permanently, she could be speyed and then re-released to live a happy. healthy life. There are places that can offer disvount or even free neutering, maybe someone else will come along who can help you out with that, as I am in the UK. Where are you?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 03:08 PM

I would like to second all the advice emma_pen gave you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Premier Cat

I third that!

Victoria
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 09:46 PM

i fourth that get her spayed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Cat

OK OK,I understand that I need to get her spayed. Putting her in one room would be very unfair to this particular cat. She is very energetic and needs attention all te time. She hates being alone while in the house. I have a friend that is willing to take all the kittens if I am not able to care for them by myself. I live in the U.S.

Can anyone answer my questions at the end of my first post?

~Alexandra

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 03:51 AM

She will not be as active or energetic when she is nursing kittens, as she will stay with them all the time. Is there any chance this friend could take mum now and let her have kittens in their house???
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm not sure. I wanted to have the kittens over here anyways. She will only take them if I am not able to take care of them. I doubt that will happen since I will probably dedicate myself to them.

~Alexandra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page