Ringworm help ASAP!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Ringworm help ASAP!!

My 3 month old Bengal has ringworm, he has about 10 areas afffected on him, it keeps getting worse. Now that I have figured this out, I was wondering what I should do about treating it. Im not able to see a vet right away, but informed by one that you can apply bleach to the affected areas. This to me sounded odd, but I diluted it in a lot of water and applied with a Q tip. Im not pleased with, so I dont know what I shoulddo now...bathe the cat?, is there special shampoos or ointments I should get. I have disenfected the house, and quarentined the cat to one room. WHich is even worse, because he won't stop crying and meowing at the door. I hate to leave him in there. But I have a 4 yr old son that I dont want to get infected. SO any information on what I should be doing and how long I have to keep the cat quarentined would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Premier Cat

They used to shampoo cats at my vet and then apply a lym(sp?)dip. It smells awful. Like sulfur. They'd apply it a couple of times over a couple of weeks. I think 3 weeks apart but I don't remember for sure. I would imagine you can buy it from your vet or pet store unless it's a prescription. I think you should keep him separated till the symptoms clear up. But if he has such a bad case and you guys don't have it already, chances are you won't. Bleach sounds very strange to me too. I wouldn't do it but that's just me.
Good luck. Ringworm is so icky!

Victoria
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Are you sure its ringworm? It sounds like a silly question, but I wouldn't try any sort of home treatment without a vet's advice, especially if you haven't had it properly diagnosed.

Your vet will be able to recommend treatment options. You may even want to consider having the cat shaved. If not the entire cat, definately the areas where the ringworm is causing the problems. This also GREATLY increases the effectiveness of any topical medications you may get (if any) because you can clearly see where you need to put them and make sure they are applied over the entire area.

We recently had a stray dog with horrible skin problems. She had demodex, and when she looked bumpy like she had hives, we did a ringworm culture and it was blazing positive within a few days... none of the medications seemed to be helping, and when I finally decided to shave the areas you could see the massive sores all over her. She must have had 15-20 down each side, up and down her legs and on her stomach. We finally decided that it was best to euthanize her because she wasn't responding to treatment and was miserable in isolation (she soooo craved attention, she'd howl and howl all day until someone came to see her).

I've never seen a case of ringworm turn out so badly, so I'm not saying this will happen to your cat at all! Just please take him to the vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment. The sooner you treat, the sooner he can become a part of your family again!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Premier Cat

Of course my first advice would be to get to the vet. That goes without saying.

Victoria
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 03:49 AM

I agree on getting the cat to a vet. And don't use any more bleach...even diluted, bleaches are very toxic to cats!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice everyone. SInce I just got my cat I dont have a vet already for him , so I thought it would be hard to find one for my new pet on 4th of July weekend. I guess Ill have to call tommorow and see what I can do. I just hope I dont have to keep the cat quarentined for too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page